Chili Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Expat., This is the recipe I used for my wicked hot chili that everyone who loved hot chili at the last Chili Cookoff I participated in loved. My hot chili didn't win anything, but my 3 gallons worth emptied faster than any other pot of chili at the cookoff. I emptied much faster than my mild red chili that received rave reviews from the crowds. Just understand, this recipe makes a bunch of chili. You might want to keep some Tobaso Sauce on hand to cool your mouth down.:LOL: This is my chili that I call - "Too Hot for Texans!":ohmy:

Here 'tis.

Ok. Due to popular demand, here it is in all its unbalanced glory. Think sixes. In fact, I think I'll call this recipe Chili #6 .

6 lbs. diced tomatoes (1 #10 can) (Pour off the water before adding to the pot)
6 lb. can Kidney Beans (1 #10 can)
6 lb. can Pinto Beans (1 #10 can)
6 stalks Celery, sliced
6 lb. ground beef (good quality stuff)
6 ea. dried Tobasco Peppers, Jalapeno Peppers
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
4 dried Ghost Peppers, minced
4 Carolina Reapers, minced
8 Japone Peppers, minced
3 large onions
2 tsp. ground Coriander
1 1/2 tbs. ground Cumin
17 oz. hot Chili Powder
1/2 cup freshly-chopped Cilantro
3 squares unsweetened Baker's Chocolate
½ cup Masa Harina Flour to thicken it all.

Fire-grill the ground beef patties (very coarse grind ground beef, and flavorful like rouond or sircloin) over smoky hardwood, with the lid down, before breaking up for the chili.

Make the chili in a pot that will hold 7 gallons. Add the canned stuff. Chop the onion into bite-sized pieces and throw into the pot. Add the remaining ingredients. Simmer for two hours, stirring every fifteen minutes or so to prevent burning the chili to the bottom of the pan.. Remove from the heat and refrigerate overnight to allow the flavors to blend. Put into meal-sized freezer bags and save for future use, leaving enough out for a good meal. serve with softened, fresh corn tortillas broken and added to the bowls.

Seeeeeeya: Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I can't imagine 1/2 cup of Masa Harina being enough to do anything at all to that amount of ingredients. Is it a typo that should read like 1 1/2 cups?

Yet another question Chief....where's the liquid? How can it possibly cook on a stovetop without liquid?

Last edited:
Chief, I can't imagine 1/2 cup of Masa Harina being enough to do anything at all to that amount of ingredients. Is it a typo that should read like 1 1/2 cups?

Yet another question Chief....where's the liquid? How can it possibly cook on a stovetop without liquid?

The liquid comes from emptying the entire can, juices and all, from the beans, and tomato products. You will find that there is plenty, and it has flavor. I used to add tomato puree, but found that the extra tomato overpowered the other ingredients. If your chili is too thick, just add a little water. I didn't find the need to, and the chili was thick and rich in flavor and textures. Oh, and the part where I say to pour off the can juice from the diced tomatoes, don't do that. If teh chili is too runny, simply simmer longer to evaporate teh excess water.

As for the masa harina, too much will over-thicken, and overpower the other flavors. A half cup is too little. But it was a guestamit. I added the masa harina, let it cook for ten minutes, and then added a little more, again letting it thicken, until it added both the flavor and thickening powder that I was shooting for.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Chief, now you say.....
The liquid comes from emptying the entire can, juices and all, from the beans, and tomato products.
That is not clear in the recipe. All the canned goods should read "undrained".
I still don't think that's enough liquid myself.

I almost never cook anything exactly the same way twice. Todays pot of chili is made with:
  • sofrito of onion, poblano peppers, and garlic
  • 3/4 lb ground pork
  • 1 cup of dried black beans, cooked
  • 28 oz canned tomatoes
  • 2 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
I don't have any at the moment but this canned chili sauce is great.

I love Herdez brand, they make lots of very good things. I was able to get pork chile bowls and beef & bean bowls, they made a wonderful quick breakfast.

I love Herdez brand, they make lots of very good things. I was able to get pork chile bowls and beef & bean bowls, they made a wonderful quick breakfast.

Hm. I need to peruse the Mexican sections of our grocery stores more often.

Another Herdez fan here. I love their salsa verde. In fact, I've never met a Herdez product I didn't like. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom