Chimichurri Sauce (TNT)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
Chimichurri Sauce

1 medium bunch of flat leaf parsley
10-12 cloves garlic
3-4 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 cup EVOO

Toss everything except oil into a food processor. Process to a paste, scraping down bowl.

Slowly drizzle olive oil into the food processor while it is running until fully blended.

This is a common Argentinian condiment. It goes great on steak, but can be used on tons of things.

Yum, I love Chimichurri !

Great recipe, thanks!

I make this with cilantro instead of parsley sometimes, as I LOVE cilantro. Cilantro chimichurri is great on grilled chicken.

It's really good on a flank/London broil steak - make a bigger batch and marinate overnight - you can even cut the steak in half lengthwise if it's really thick. Reserve other half to use on steak - this is good on an appetizer table - serve on baguette slices.

The last time I made this I vowed that I would make it with cilantro the next time - I too love cilantro and it just SCREAMS this herb. The parsley is absolutely wonderful - but it's a cilantro addiction! lol

It's funny, I have made this sauce a number of times so I am pretty familiar with the recipe. When I went shopping for the ingredients I wrote down what I needed, but while at the store I did not see cilantro on my list. That can't be right I though, so I bought a bunch figuring I must have just not written it down. Turns out that this particular recipe doesn't call for it, but it sure would work great. I think I am going to add some into the leftovers I have.

I think a lot of the original Argentinian recipes do call for cilantro but so many people don't like it and probably would never have tried it if it had cilantro in it - that's funny that you thought it should have it in it!!!!

GB - I see where your recipe has chili flakes in it - OH, VERY YUM!!!!!!

Here's a recipe I use that says it is traditional (but we know traditional to one part of Argentina isn't necessarily traditional for another part - insert any other country or state or provence where Argentina is)

1/4 cup olive oil
2/3 cup white wine vinegar
3 tablespoons sherry
3/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
3 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
6 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 flank steak, 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 lb.
Salt & freshly ground pepper

Marinate in part of the marinade and serve the rest with finished product.

GB said:
Chimichurri Sauce

1 medium bunch of flat leaf parsley
10-12 cloves garlic
1 cup EVOO

This is a common Argentinian condiment. It goes great on steak, but can be used on tons of things.

GB I roast/bake french fries and when done put them in a bowl and toss with the above three parts of the sauce. Although amounts greatly reduced based on the amount of potatoes I slice up. I had this sauce, but did not know the exact ingredients, at my cousins home in Norway. Her significant other is a cattle rancher and wine maker in Argentenia and he served us a whole beef tenderloin with this sauce, it was awesome. Of course it was also great with the wine he made.

GB said:
norgeskog that sounds so good with french fries. I will have to try that!

it rather impresses people as well when you take the fries from the oven (or deep frying device) and put in a large bowl and dump the minced garlic, parsley and s/p to taste then add the EVOO and toss it around.

I made GB's recipe but instead of lemon I used worcestshire sauce, since it has a sourness to it due to tamari ingredient.

Came out great. My wife loves it and she is rather sensitive to stronger flavors.

ALso made it into a sort of espangnol sauce to serve with a pot roast. Still trying to perfect that one....

i realize this is a really old post, however, i just saw it and would like to point out that most recipes i have seen here in latin america point to the acid in the chimichurri being wine vinegar as opposed to lemon juice.... the reason it makes sense is twofold, first, the recipe is argentinian and as we know, argentina is wine country and this leads to massive white and red wine vinegar production, i have seen recipes calling for eiter red or white wine vinegars.... second, is the fact that in most of latin america, the yellow lemon you have in the us actually is rarely used but rather the green limes are found everywhere BUT the catch is that in spanish, the word that is used most commonly for limes is "limones" which is the same word for lemons!! as you can see, anyone translating a recipe to someone in english would have a "loss in translation".... somehow, when i think chimichurri, i cannot quite grasp the parsley-lime combination, so i have to stick to vinegars....

i have seen several posts from cliveb in venezuela that are quite informative and would welcome any input from him on the subject...

Well my Argentinian friends over here are all on holiday, so I can't consult them, but I'd have thought you could right there about the vinegar. I tried a chimichurri a few weeks back at a BBQ - and it definitely had vinegar rather than lime juice. Just that the oregano was overdone for me - the more parsley the better imho!

Spot on about the lemons, too. Those yellow monsters can be found here,under the name " limón francés" (French Lemon) but are used rarely. The "limón criollo" or local lime is about the size of a golfball, or smaller and is much sharper in flavour than the yellow lemon. It is used extensively instead of vinegar from Peru up to Mexico. If you've never eaten a ceviche made with limón criollo, you've missed something!!

I made one recently with wine vinegar that was delicious.
The "local lime" sounds a bit like a key lime which could indeed be used instead of vinegar for the "sour'.

This is very interesting because I had been thinking I would do a search for this sauce today....so very pleased to see I was saved the search. CliveB could you get hold of a local recipe for us to have a look at?

Also, my local Argentinian serves these with cheese puffs that are wonderful. Are they traditional at all? And does anyone have a recipe for cheese puffs? They are kind of like savory profiteroles and the cheese tastes more like emmantal than anything else I can put my finger on. They are cooked so that they are only just done on the inside.

I have made this with vinegar instead of the lemon as well and yes it works extremely well. Personally I like the lemon though, traditional or not, so that is why I posted it this way, but feel free to change it up however you like. That is the great thing about cooking.

I'm ashamed to say I've never had this before. Honestly, I don't recall every seeing it offered while I'm out dining. I'm going to cut an paste your recipe GB and give it a try in the future when I have most of the ingredients because it sounds absolutely right up my alley.....I am going to try it with the cilantro. THANKS!

Edit..........just realized I do have all the ingredients as I bought some cilantro last night for fresh homemade salsa. I'm going to try this on grilled chicken breasts tomorrow.

No reason to be ashamed. I am sure there are millions of recipes that all of us have not tried yet that we would love.

If you love garlic then you will LOVE chimichurri. This stuff really is amazing!!! And there are as many variations as in pesto so make sure to try this one and try others and find one that really speaks to you.

I forgot all about that recipe....thanks for the reminder. I really need to go through my recipes I've cut and pasted from here because some I haven't yet tried and I know I'd love because the ingredients are all things I like. THanks for the reminder. I bet that recipe would be good to marinate chicken in too.

I have never tried it with chicken, but I bet you are right. I will have to give that a shot!

Back
Top Bottom