Chocolate and Red Wine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to keep eating chocolate and drinking red wine while I wait for the next report that says they are good for you. It's bound to happen.

I'm not making my decisions on my food choices based on the daily news. No study is definitive and scientists are always learning new information. I just eat as sensibly as I can, with mostly homemade, whole foods. And if I want to splurge on good chocolate, I will! :)

While I'm sure the study has some merit I find my brain immediately dismisses any article in which I find grammatical errors or errors of word choice. So this one got the gong when I read "a myriad".

Off to find myself some chocolate now...:cool:

According to the news today, chocolate and red wine are NOT good for you, as they once thought. I figure if it hasn't killed me yet, why stop now?
I think a better way of phrasing that is that isn't necessarily bad for you.

Keep in mind this article is only referring to ONE compound out of thousands that are found in red wine and chocolate. And clearly there are other compounds in red wine, anthocyanin, for instance, which has a proven track record of being good for you.

I'll keep drinking red wine regardless, thanks. :)

Last edited:
When I see 'weasel words' such as 'may cause' or 'may suggest' I get really skeptical about the results.

Shoot, I thought we were going to talk about red wine with chocolate, so I'll just continue what I was going to say. ;)

I don't care much for red wine, or chocolate but put the two together and now you're talking my language.
There's nothing more decadent than a glass of fine Port wine with say a chocolate dipped fresh strawberry. It's great for the :heart::wub:

In the complete article on NPR, they actually interviewed the leader of the Johns' Hopkins study. The conclusion was:

"These polyphenols might be working in concert with each other," Semba says. "It was just a leap of faith to assume it was resveratrol [having the health benefits]. It was an oversimplification."

Back
Top Bottom