Choko - A rather uninspiring experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're welcome Addie. Chewing of the Coco leaf also helps to prevent high altitude sickness, and both of us have used it for that purpose. Personally, I'll stick to my wine for a high. lol

There is 1 large seed in the middle. Paul Prudhomme, in one of his cookbooks, suggests chopping it and using it in a salad as a crunchy. It is definitely edible, although we usually just toss it. My favorite recipe with it is stuffed mirliton with crab and shrimp butter cream sauce. Decadent and rich but oh so good once in a while. Our son-in-law's aunt makes a casserole version of it for X-mas every year. Last time we made it:

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f104/dinner-monday-22nd-april-2013-a-85329-2.html

You're welcome Addie. Chewing of the Coco leaf also helps to prevent high altitude sickness, and both of us have used it for that purpose. Personally, I'll stick to my wine for a high. lol
I'm told that you can eat the leaves cooked. My source told me that uncooked the leaves are toxic. Don't know if this is true or not.

I'm told that you can eat the leaves cooked. My source told me that uncooked the leaves are toxic. Don't know if this is true or not.

I guess it depends on the definition of "toxic". In the Andes of South America they've been chewing them since time began and thousands have died. Tongue firmly in cheek. ;):ROFLMAO:

Maybe I have it mixed up with something else or other plant.

Didn't the Aztec or some other Central American tribe used to chew Chayote leaves and get high? :angel:

It's been a while since I cut one open but I was sure there wasn't a large seed (think avocado) like the recipe described.

No Addie, that's not the leaf you're thinking.

Coca - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Addie, could you be thinking of peyote rather than chayote?

Addie, could you be thinking of peyote rather than chayote?

Yup. Thank you. I knew it sounded familiar. :wacko: Now where can I get some? Things are not going to well in this household. The urge to kill is very strong today. :wacko: Anyone want to volunteer as my victim? :angel:

Yup. Thank you. I knew it sounded familiar. :wacko: Now where can I get some? Things are not going to well in this household. The urge to kill is very strong today. :wacko: Anyone want to volunteer as my victim? :angel:

No thanks, but I'd like to suggest a couple of candidates.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom