Christmas 2018 menu plans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello all, and Christmas Greetings!

In Italy, we're several hours a head from you. However, whether or not what happened has no times or any thing to do with what our Christmas lunch.

I bought a large turkey, something our beloved English Setter he had never had never smelled before, and he went berserk because of the smell of it. I could'nt keep away from it!. He had several tries at getting at it, and I had to put in a saline bath, but to no avail.

The stuffing was ground pork, chestnuts, herbs, brandy, and one or two other additions, but Lucas didn't care about that.....Because Lucas, behind our back, took he the whole turkey, and started to eat it under the kitchen table.....The rest is history
Stupid Bumpus hounds. Lol.

Buttercup had meat sticks she cadged from Dad, she found them in a drawer when we first got in the house. Dad took pity and gave her some. Then she had about a fourth of my buttered, baked sweet potato and several bites of ham from me and Dad.

I had coffee, pistachios, olive selection, veggie tray, green beans with bacon, buttered baked sweet potato and roast ham. I made pumpkin cheesecake, but we were all too full to eat it. We will meet tomorrow after work to have with coffee, it's Mom's Birthday tomorrow.

merry_christmas_2018.jpg

Christmas Eve dinner

xmas_eve_122418_1_IMG_5208.jpg

xmas_eve_122418_2_IMG_5206.jpg

Christmas Dinner

xmas_dinner_122518_1_IMG_5212.jpg

xmas_dinner_122518_2_IMG_5213.jpg

xmas_dinner_122518_IMG_4479.jpg

xmas_pumpkin_pie_122518_IMG_5227.jpg

xmas_apple_pie_122518_IMG_5232.jpg

New addition to family Santa Peggy

santa_peggy_122518_2_IMG_5218.jpg

Great pics MsM, and I love the pet stories, Di and Princess! :LOL: We were so hungry when we sat down to dinner that I forgot to take food pics. We had appys, but the aroma of the ham baking was just too much....LOL

Looking forward to ham sandwiches, omelets, casseroles, soups....:yum:

How about a game of "where are the green beans?" [emoji1] Dinner also featured rare sirloin tip roast with gravy and sauteed mushrooms, butternut squash, and "volcano potatoes" - twice-baked with a topping of bacon and paprika. Dessert was a sad pumpkin pie that had issues. Never mind, fixed it with a generous amount of whipped cream.
IMG_20181225_191725394.jpgIMG_20181225_210744022.jpg

Awesome, MsM and CG!

I really hadn't planned anything, but my dear neighbor brought me some of the best homemade tamales I've ever had, along with spanish rice and sugar cookies. Their dogs followed her husband over. Old Beagle despises their big elderly male Aussie shepherd, and tore out after him while their little doxie came inside and toured the house.

Last edited:
Awesome, MsM and CG!

I really hadn't planned anything, but my dear neighbor brought me some of the best homemade tamales I've ever had, along with spanish rice and sugar cookies. Their dogs followed her husband over. Old Beagle despises their big elderly male Aussie shepherd, and tore out after him while their little doxie came inside and toured the house.

Thank you dg.

Our dinner at my nieces' turned out very well.

My wife's ham was outstanding, and my nieces put out a decent spread. Actually, the best thing my nieces made was not necessarily intended to be eaten as a going concern.

Since she made a lasagna, my younger niece made an extra pot of sauce for those who prefer more sauce on their lasagna. In the extra sauce were beef short rib bones with good chunks of meat still attached.
She was surprised that instead of having the lasagna, I fished the meaty bones out of the sauce and enjoyed them by themselves.
Fatty, tender, flavorful meat next to the bone slowly cooked in basil and garlic tomato sauce? I was all over it.

But again, my wife's ham was outstanding. After tasting it out of the wrapper, she decided to make it in what she calls "Polish style", where it is boiled, then simmered, then allowed to sit in a warm oven tented with foil to dry a bit.

Weird, but it produces really moist, tender ham that isn't salty.

Last edited:
It’s nearly 11pm here, and we just finished our Christmas dinner. My fault, I didn’t get motivated until about 6pm. Hers what we had:

Glazed ham (thanks for the recipe, GG)
Brussels sprouts, sautéed in bacon drippings and finished in the oven
Shiitake mushroom risotto
Pear clafoutis (dessert)

Usually I find some fault with things that I’ve made. Not tonight! Everything was perfect. Mark loved every dish!

I didn’t get a chance to take pics of the main course. I didn’t want to take the time and let everything get cold. But I did get a couple of pics of the clafoutis, which I consider the night’s piece de resistance.

7512AEEB-947D-467A-AE9A-A820811700AF.jpg

1707D73C-53FB-4A26-961C-B7079075EF41.jpg

I’m so proud of it.

Our roasted ducks turned out delicious.

I saved 5 cups of "liquid gold" duck fat that sells commercially for big bucks. However, when I was preparing them yesterday I discovered that none of the ducks contained the liver. One of the reasons I cook whole duck is being able to make duck liver pate' so I was plenty peeved. With all four of them missing, that couldn't have been an accident and I plan on complaining big time to the packaging company. Not only that, but the duck package contained 8oz. bag of some sort of liquid for a sauce I threw away. Geeze, they each cost close to $20 so I expect all duck, no sauce and the livers included!
It's a good thing they looked and tasted so good.
I posted the recipe for the gorgeous wild rice salad that I'll sure make again.
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f11/wild-rice-salad-101308.html#post1576781

Last edited:
We decided to save the prime rib for this weekend with DD, Gd's and guests over on the west coast. So we picked up a pair of beautiful veal shanks and had Osso Bucco over Risoto Milanes.

full

We had Moules Marinières and homemade toasted bread for an appetizer. Then standing rib roast, twice-baked potatoes and roasted asparagus. More tiramisu cheesecake and a shot of Kahlua for dessert.
1225182007a.jpg1225182009a.jpg1225182048.jpg1225182050a.jpg1225182053a.jpg1225182134a.jpg

Our family will be going to my older son's house again this year. The SC and I will again be taking 4 roasted ducks we'll cook here at home and others will fill in the menu. The recipe for them is a real winner and I'd be glad to post it for anyone interested.

Have you posted the duck recipe? Please!

FOUND IT!

Last edited:
Not enough time to write all I would like to write right now, so will write more later.

Was telling my oldest about some of the posts on this thread. Question: What is a ribeye roast? He'd heard of ribeye steak, but not ribeye roast. Said that didn't make sense. I was unable to answer his question.

Another question: What does reverse sear mean?

That's it for now!

Gillian

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom