Christmas Day meals - what's cookin' on Dec 25th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveSoMD

Master Chef
Moderator Emeritus
I'm sure everyone has a different Christmas Day tradition: Breakfasts, brunch, mid-day dinners, open-house buffet, evening dinner.

We are changing things up a bit this year with a Christmas Brunch - ham, sweet potato biscuits, eggs, and pancakes.

So what are YOU cooking today?

Nobody coming today, so just hubby and me and our two cats. I am cooking up some chicken breasts, with bacon, garlic, onion, celery, tomatoes....will roast this in oven with potatoes, parsnips, carrots. Rutabaga cooked alone in a pot, mashed.....the way we like it.

This year is a departure from the usual roast beef dinner at Christmas. My children have to deal with a double-header today. Gifts and meal with SO and me followed by gifts and dessert at my eldest's home with their mother.

Both my daughters, SIL and grandson are coming for a Christmas buffet. A variety of meat and veggie appetizers and some desserts will be available as well as some seasonal beverages.

Merry Christmas Everyone.

So far... MacDonalds :wacko:
I went to run to the grocery store 45 minutes ago, just to browse for something that might strike my fancy for later today and to get some ham and cheese for lunch sandwiches, and the stupid place is closed :mad: Geez, what if somebody needs a last minutes egg-nog fix? I'm darn near out of milk and bread, too.
Thanks for Mickey D's... I had to run out by the thruway, but at least they were open. I have no idea if the store is opening this afternoon or not, but I better look for something to pull out of the freezer.

Just hubby and I and I'm excited to get things going. I'm already behind on our cooking but since it's just us and he's in no rush, we are just enjoying tv.

I'm making a bone in leg of lamb (it's actually only a 4lb portion) with
green beans
carrots
sweet potatoes
and mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes

I feel like we're missing something but i think it's okay. I'll make a gravy with the pan drippings.

Last edited:
Cocktails & Pinot Grigio
Crab Crostini

Honey Baked Ham
Hasselback sweet potatoes
Lime green beans w/ frizzled shallots
Green Beans With Frizzled Shallots recipe - Canadian Living
Cornbread dressing
cranberry sauce
Mac & cheese
Hawaiian dinner rolls

One friend is bringing Busche de Noel, another friend is bringing truffles.
Pannetone (from WS)
Butter Pecan ice cream
Coffee

Happy Holidays & Best wishes for a Happy & Healthy New Year.

Broiled Salmon with lemon and onion
Asparagus Stir Fry (Asian flair)
Parsley Potatoes with lemon

Beverages of choice and Vanilla Ice Cream with toppings of choice.

Pac, I worked in a convenience store one Christmas. It was quite the experience with folks who didn't understand that after the 2 dozen eggs and 4 gallons of milk we normally carried were gone, that was it.

For our Christmas lunch yesterday we had roast chicken roll with lots of roast vegetables and gravy...then plum pudding with brandy custard, mince pies and Christmas cake :)

Broiled Salmon with lemon and onion
Asparagus Stir Fry (Asian flair)
Parsley Potatoes with lemon

Beverages of choice and Vanilla Ice Cream with toppings of choice.

Pac, I worked in a convenience store one Christmas. It was quite the experience with folks who didn't understand that after the 2 dozen eggs and 4 gallons of milk we normally carried were gone, that was it.

Well I know grocery stores are open other holidays. It never occurred to me they were closed Christmas... at least the town store is. CVS was open though :huh:
At any rate I pulled some pork chops and some venison sausage out of the freezer. I haven't figured out what I'm doing with them yet.
I better get around to making a loaf of bread soon. I won't be able to get through tonight and half of tomorrow with no bread in the house :eek:

Made beef tenderloin a a infra red turkey... Potato salad.. and a couple pies.. finally sitting down.. a buddy brought by a dog fish head beer.. miles davis bitches brrew.. its a local brewery... And i love their stouts

I made a Swedish tea ring for breakfast and we had soft scrambled eggs, juice and coffee with that.

Tonight's meal will be chicken on the merry-go-round, otherwise known as chicken on the rotisserie. The chicken is stuffed under the skin with butter, slivers of garlic and fresh rosemary. We'll have sliced roasted potatoes with Swiss and Parmesan cheeses, buttered baby peas and iced tea. Probably Christmas sweets from our stockings for dessert.

We've prepped as much as we can for the predicted blizzard that's supposed to hit during the night, so we'd better enjoy a hearty meal now. There's every possibility we'll lose power. The winds are blowing at 20-30 mph right now. They're expected to gust at higher speeds. After the snow hits, the temps are supposed to take a dive.

I am sure we'll have plenty of leftovers so we will be fine for meals if the power goes out. No matter, really, because our cooktop is gas.

We had lunch with TB's parents - his brother couldn't make it:(. They loved the Monte Cristo's and cauliflower soup and I served a green salad with shredded brussel sprouts. I am not baking because I can't eat it so I bought slices of festive looking red velvet cake from my favourite bakery. TB and I had yogurt and blueberries! Oh, and I had a turkey salad.

For dinner I think I will just have a small bowl of soup as I am still full.:pig:

Last edited:
I decided to grill the pork chops and season with curry (hence the yellow hue). I also made some egg noodles tossed with butter and basil and had a piece of venison sausage. Not traditional, but then neither am I.

Attachments

• pork chop, noodles, sausage.jpg
    pork chop, noodles, sausage.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 182
We are just about to sit down to our Prime Rib, garlic mashed, Harvard beets, salad and rolls/buns. Butter tarts and cranberry fudge for dessert! Yum!

I decided to grill the pork chops and season with curry (hence the yellow hue). I also made some egg noodles tossed with butter and basil and had a piece of venison sausage. Not traditional, but then neither am I.

Very tasty Pac, love the sound of venison sausage, never tried one before

image-3591662632.jpg image-3591662632.jpg image-325328639.jpg

I did the Harvard beets in memory of my grandmother whom I remember making them for holiday meals. They were so good I couldn't stop eating them. I ate more of them than the yummy prime rib!

Attachments

• image-1933749616.jpg
    image-1933749616.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 183
Back
Top Bottom