Christmas food around the world.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CakePoet

Head Chef
Our ideas what Christmas food is, depends on our culture. I know Christmas is a Christian holiday if you celebrate any other holiday during December please share the menu and what it called and why you celebrate it.

Here is Swedish idea of a great Christmas dinner.

This was most Swedes has on their table, Mustard coated ham, meatball, prinskorv ( a smoked cocktail sausage), ribs , cheese and Julmust ( malted sweet drink, often mistaken for coca cola by foreigners and doesn't taste like it). This is the base, that most of us have. Then there are family and regional differences what ends up more on the buffet style table called walking table, since you walk to it.

This last year Christmas, since I only cater for 4 people , it isnt that big also we are not well off, we have only the things we love on the table and a few likes.

img_1488089_0_6abe770a3556a71bad473453d1ca2489.jpg

Home made porksausage in pork broth, the broth is for dipping bread into it, prinskorv and isterband , a local sausage in the black frying pan, silver pan has ribs and meatballs.

img_1488089_1_55011471a6f3f2fd74e3729e832bfa31.jpg

Mustard coated ham, it is boiled and then coated with mustard and baked, Finnish carrot box ( yes the name if translated word by word is carrot box) in the glas bowl there is pickled herring.

img_1488089_2_0ffdddb98089159b107a384be21ca6d1.jpg

The jellied meat is brawn, also home made, it becomes softer and more delicate then store bought. Home made lamb liver pate. 3 types of cold sausages on the plate and then a bowl of red cabbage slaw and then there is 4 types cheese.

img_1488089_3_4dbc18f654339b3a3ba73ded1ea0e33c.jpg

Bread, we had wort bread for dipping, with and without raisins and oatmeal biscuits.

img_1488089_4_39fec47dae2e5290349938fc885ca805.jpg

Best thing ever, broth dipped bread.

img_1488089_5_3d4ae45fc84bbb9c3eebd2381c656fd3.jpg

This is my brother's plate, full as it should be with yummy food.

Then we sit down and eat home made candies and nut and drink glögg which is warm spiced wine and have saffron rolls and ginger breads and then we eat the same food again. Yes twice on Christmas eve and then again on Christmas day. Boxing day , it is Scottish lentil soup.

Our ideas what Christmas food is, depends on our culture. I know Christmas is a Christian holiday if you celebrate any other holiday during December please share the menu and what it called and why you celebrate it.

Here is Swedish idea of a great Christmas dinner..

The way this is worded just struck me as so cool. So inclusive, and devoid of so much of the anger in the world today.

God bless us all.

Umm, or whomever, or you know. That.

And delicious looking, too!

Wow! What a lovely spread, CP! It will only take me about 27 hours to get to Sweden. Hold my chair!

Dawgluver, you are welcome! You can sleep on the sofa and there might be snow. Sadly to far south for reindeer.

Yummy. That looks like a real feast, CP. My friend's son worked in Sweden for 10 years (for Volvo), and he said the food and the people were both awesome. Your food looks great. Can't beat homemade sausage.

utsokt!

For Christmas, we just make a glazed ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetables, pies, etc..

CP, that looks delicious!

It would be nearly impossible for me to come up with a "traditional" Christmas meal in my family. Growing up it was roast goose, mashed potatoes and gravy (lots and lots of gravy :yum:), with other assorted sides, usually brought by guests, so it was always different. One standard was Mom's apple pie (Oh how I miss that!), served the English way with cheddar cheese on the side.

In my wife's family, the tradition is held on Christmas Eve. Everyone gets together after Christmas Eve services at the church, usually at my wife's brother's home, and the one thing that is always served is white chili soup. There is always a second soup, and maybe a third one, and lots of appetizers of various descriptions, usually brought by the guests. They invite half the countryside, so people are wandering through all evening and it is a wonderful farm country gathering.

I eagerly look forward to the community festivities this Saturday, then 9 or 10 family at our house on Christmas Day. Once everyone is gone and the mess cleaned up, I may not move again for 24 hours, but it's a good kind of tired.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom