Christmas mince pies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ishbel

Executive Chef
Traditional Mince pies (sweet, not savoury)

(Enough for up to 30 mince pies)
1lb plain flour
8 oz butter, softened just a little
2 egg yolks
2 oz icing sugar
Little cold water to help make the pastry less dry (3-6 tbsp depending on elasticity of the flour)
1 lb mincemeat (some years I make my own, this year I'm just buying it in jars!)
beaten egg, to glaze

If you wish, you could buy ready made sweet shortcrust pastry or puff pastry and cut out the first few steps of this recipe!

Sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into smaller cubes and, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

Stir in the icing sugar. Make a well in the centre of the pastry mix in the bowl and stir in the egg yolk and about 3-4 tbsp water to make a soft, though not sticky, dough. Knead this into a smoother dough and chill for 30 minutes before rolling out.

Preheat oven to gas mark 6.

Dust a clean, flat surface with flour and roll out two thirds of the pastry dough to about ¼inch thick, and cut out rounds using a 2½inch scone cutter.
Press these gently into a bun (or tartlet) tin then fill with a generous spoonful of mincemeat. If You could mix a little brandy or rum with the mincemeat if adults are going to be eating them, this gives a nice 'kick.

Do not overfill the pastry cases as the mincemeat will expand during cooking and your pies may then 'leak'.

Roll out the rest of the pastry and cut out a further 30 rounds using a 2in cutter. Dampen the edges of these circles using a pastry brush and some of the beaten egg and place on top of the mincemeat. Gently press down the pastry lids to seal the edges and brush the tops with beaten egg.

Cook for 20 minutes or so until golden brown, then remove and leave on a cooling tray. Dust with a little icing sugar to serve.

These can be eaten hot or cold.

Back
Top Bottom