Chuck Roast without a crock-pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caitlyn

Assistant Cook
I have a 2.6 pound chuck roast, beef chuck. Only I have a few dilemmas. First of all my boyfriend and I are just starting our official life living together so we have NO pots or pans. We literally have, a skillet with a lid, 3 cake pans (circle) and one cake pan rectangular. That's my first dilemma. My second one is after deciding which of my 5 pans will be best to cook it in, how do I cook it? I would really like to have some potatoes surrounding it to soak up the beef juices to be turned into mashed potatoes later. Can anyone help me? I feel like a lost cause!

You don't need a crockpot to cook a pot roast. People have been doing it for many years.

Sear the roast in the skillet then surround it with some veggies and beef broth or water, add some thyme and a couple of spoons of tomato paste, Bring to a boil and put it into a 350 oven, covered, for a couple of hours. When it's fork tender, it's done.

Chuck pot roasts were being cooked long before crock pots were invented. If your skillet is large enough to do the whole roast, sear it, add liquid, garlic, and herbs, and simmer in the skillet with the lid on. Near the end of the cooking time, add potatoes, carrots, and onions, and cook till tender. I generally cook a pot roast over a mirepoix to add flavor and keep the roast off the bottom of the pan.

You don't need a crockpot to cook a pot roast. People have been doing it for many years.

Sear the roast in the skillet then surround it with some veggies and beef broth or water, add some thyme and a couple of spoons of tomato paste, Bring to a boil and put it into a 350 oven, covered, for a couple of hours. When it's fork tender, it's done.

you beat me to it, Andy!

For the OP, I've been making pot roasts for almost 50 years, and have never used a crock pot. Usually I do it in a dutch oven, in the oven, after searing the meat on top the stove, but if your skillet is deep enough, you'll be fine with that.

Oh, and you might want to use heavy duty aluminum foil as a "lid" for your skillet, because the lid that comes with it might make the pan too "skinny" to hold the pot roast and the veggies.

Happy cooking.

You beat me, Andy, one caveat, if you do the roast in the oven, be sure the skillet handle is oven safe.

Most any cookware is OK in the oven to 350-375 F. I don't even think about it anymore.

Where the OP said it was such a small roast, I figured it would fit the skillet. However, using a foil lid if necessary is a good idea.

Most any cookware is OK in the oven to 350-375 F. I don't even think about it anymore.

Where the OP said it was such a small roast, I figured it would fit the skillet. However, using a foil lid if necessary is a good idea.
I was thinking of the exception, Revere Ware. The plastic handles don't work well in an oven. I have nothing that won't go from the stove top to the oven

From the Revereware website:

Revere Copper Clad 7 pc Cookware set includes 1 each: 1-quart covered saucepan, 1-1/2-quart covered saucepan, 4-1/2-quart covered dutch oven, 9-inch open skillet
Soft, ergonomic, "pistol grip" stay-cool handles ensure a confident, comfortable hold
Stainless-steel covers offer straining and steaming positions plus stay-cool, soft-grip knobs for safe, easy lid removal
Dishwasher Safe
Can be used in the oven up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
25 Year Limited Warranty

Since you are just starting out you might try braising the meat and veggies in the rectangular pan in the oven covered with tin foil. Also, for about $20.00 you can get some servicable used pots and pans from a Salvation Army store to tide you over until you can afford better stuff. Best wishes.

Buying used is the best way to stock a kitchen on a budget. Generally cheap and of better quality than new. Nearlyall of my pots and pans were purchased used.

My wife and I when first married bought most of our unique seving diahes and ware used at flea markets and garage sales.
We had a bigger collection that anyone we knew.Two,three and four compartment trays,egg servers and relish sets.We used to throw a lot of parties.Kids changed all that!

Sam's club had sets of fine bone china, we got, it was like a 1/10 of the price in stores like Macy's. Same exact stuff. No need to buy old junk. Just have to look for. In Nemen Markus they have clearance flor where they sell a lot of stuff too. We got a huge set silverewhere there for $99. Original price was around $600.

Um just so you know. I just bought a 7 quart crock pot at Walmart this weekend for $19. Sure its not a "great" one but it worked!!!

Good Eats did an episode called "A chuck for Chuck" where AB used several layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil to make a pouch to cook the roast in.

OP took me back in time - just starting out and without every kitchen utensil and pot and pan. But, as my hubby (who is in construction) says: For every job there is a tool :0) So, invest in good kitchen equipment as you go along in life. It will pay for itself a hundredfold - IF YOU COOK AT HOME. Good for you - cooking at home instead of eating out or doing the 'instant' route. I applaud you!

Back
Top Bottom