Citrus Zesters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookinBlondie

Senior Cook
I want to get a zester, and want to know what kind to get. Should I get a microplane, a scraping kind with finger like things? Any certain brand? Any ideas to help me?

CookinBlondie*

I have both the Oxo zester, and a fine and a coarse Oxo micro plane.

Which one you should get depends on what you need it for, imo. Each has it's own merits.

What are each used for? Are there uses interchangeable? I am now starting to make fruit pies, and that is my main use at this point, but i might make a larger variety if i have the right tool. thanks for the response.

CookinBlondie*

I like the regular zester to make strips of zest, to use in cakes, etc. or as decoration.

I like the fine microplane for use when I just want the taste, not much texture of the zest.

I like the coarse microplane, when I want something in between the two..

Here I go with the old-school stuff again, forgive me! I have an "All-in-One" Depression era grater with medium and small shredder, slicer and microplane (micro for back then). Works great but comes as one flat piece and is unwieldly. I'm due for for something new myself!

I would agree with choclatechef that the zester makes the most decorative zest. If that isn't a major concern, consider getting the Microplane, since it does a variety of grating jobs. I bought one recently (about $18 and it came with both fine and coarse grating heads) and love it for small cheese and chocolate grating jobs when I don't want to use the box grater.

I have the microplane and I can tell you a little about that. Basically you just rub the citrus fruit against the surface and fine shavings of zest fall off the back. It leaves a light and fluffy pile of zest. If you pay attention to what you are doing it's very easy to get absolutely all of the zest off of the fruit.

If you want strips of zest then there are a ton of little devices out there, but I don't have one so I cant really help you.

Otter said:
I would agree with choclatechef that the zester makes the most decorative zest. If that isn't a major concern, consider getting the Microplane, since it does a variety of grating jobs. I bought one recently (about $18 and it came with both fine and coarse grating heads) and love it for small cheese and chocolate grating jobs when I don't want to use the box grater.

Otter: Where did you get it? My parents want to get me one for christmas, but they don't know what they look like. (I'm the cook in the family) If you could show me where you got it, maybe I could go to the site, or do a search on it, and show them what it is. Thanks.

mjsorkin: Welcome to the forum!

Thanks to everyone who has responded. I don't know what I would do without you guys. I live in a small town, and there are no chefs whatsoever. You guys rock!

CookinBlondie*

CookinBlondie, I've been out for a while, and you seem to have a few responses already. I bought the model that has one handle and both a fine and a coarse grating head for $18. If you want to buy a complete unit with a fine and a complete unit with a coarse, they cost about $13 each. I'll post the link here, but it is long.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...49190/sr=11-1/ref=sr_11_1/104-3702597-6133533

choclatechef said:
I have both the Oxo zester, and a fine and a coarse Oxo micro plane.

Which one you should get depends on what you need it for, imo. Each has it's own merits.
This is exactly what I was going to reccomend, almost word for word (brand and everything). If I were to only get one though, I would go with the microplane as it is a bit more versatile, you can get some fresh grated nutmeg etc with the microplane.

Back
Top Bottom