Cleaning Ceramic Glass top stove...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gracie's Kitchen

Assistant Cook
I just purchased a GE smooth top/Ceramic/Glass with convection bake. I love the way it cooks and bakes, but I am not fond of the way the ceramic top cleans. I can spend 10 minutes or more after dinner cleaning this thing depending on what I make and the residues, spills and spatters that take place. It streaks very easily, so I am always using the ceramic top cream cleaner waxing it and buffing it. The spray leaves it streaked. The cream does a decent enough of a job, but after cooking some corn, I hadn't noticed a kernel had fallen out and landed on the burner section. It caramelized on the cook top and I soaked and scrubbed for 30 minutes, maybe more. I used the cleaner and the scrub pad that came with the stove. The scrub pad left a marred spot where the kernel had cooked. I have since polished this spot several times and it still has a marred look and you can still see exactly where the kernel of corn landed.

Is this just natural patina that's going to happen to the stove?.

I've only had this stove for a little over a month. So far, I am not impressed with how the top cleans. Otherwise, I love it. I'm seriously considering saving up my nickels and dimes for a pricier gas range the next time around, but until then, I still have to live with this smooth top. Anyone else have problems with this? Anyone have a solution? Maybe I'm just being too picky about getting it polished for the "prom.":blink:

Thanks for your ideas.

i put one in another house i lived in. i would never have another one. to much upkeep. i put the drip pans for my old gas range in the dishwasher now and again and they are clean. or i use a Mr clean eraser sponge on them. works like magic. i think the longer you have it the more u will grow to hate it. good luck

You are the first person who has said to me they are hard to clean. Hmmpf! Can we be the only two people in the nation that think they are a lot of upkeep? LOL When I turn off the kitchen lights at night I want everything shining and ready for the next day. I had a coil stove before and it wiped clean without streaks. I'd wash the pans and once replaced them, but at least the pans didn't show up like the shiny surface of a smooth top staring at you with every little crumb or streak on it. I absolutely love the way it cooks and the oven bakes. So that's a plus. I guess I'll have to buck up and live with it.

Is your oven gas as well? Do you like the way gas bakes? I know they make dual fuel which has always looked interesting to me.

yes my oven is gas as well, i like it ok. the gas and electric company is coming out to check the temp for me and fix it if not right. free. i know , hard to believe. i much prefer gas on stove top to elect. it heats almost instantly and cools down the same way. i do use my microwave much more than most people i know. i do scalloped potatoes in it for one thing. make a roué. easy to learn how to get the most out of it. and doesn't heat up the house. good luck keeping it clean. i know i like to get up to shiny kitchen also.

I just purchased a GE smooth top/Ceramic/Glass with convection bake. I love the way it cooks and bakes, but I am not fond of the way the ceramic top cleans. I can spend 10 minutes or more after dinner cleaning this thing depending on what I make and the residues, spills and spatters that take place. It streaks very easily, so I am always using the ceramic top cream cleaner waxing it and buffing it. The spray leaves it streaked. The cream does a decent enough of a job, but after cooking some corn, I hadn't noticed a kernel had fallen out and landed on the burner section. It caramelized on the cook top and I soaked and scrubbed for 30 minutes, maybe more. I used the cleaner and the scrub pad that came with the stove. The scrub pad left a marred spot where the kernel had cooked. I have since polished this spot several times and it still has a marred look and you can still see exactly where the kernel of corn landed.

Is this just natural patina that's going to happen to the stove?.

I've only had this stove for a little over a month. So far, I am not impressed with how the top cleans. Otherwise, I love it. I'm seriously considering saving up my nickels and dimes for a pricier gas range the next time around, but until then, I still have to live with this smooth top. Anyone else have problems with this? Anyone have a solution? Maybe I'm just being too picky about getting it polished for the "prom.":blink:

Thanks for your ideas.
I use Bar Keepers Friend...works everytime! Just moisten the stove top with a little water, sprinkle the BKF and clean away! A little extra scrubbing might be needed on burnt on messes and possibly a little more BKF, but take it from me....it works!

I also have glass and have a system that works! For daily cleaning I use a bottle of multi surface spray cleaner (windex). I also use this on granite counters, SS appliances - everything. It makes the stove sparkle.

For those burned on things on the cook top I use Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner.
Amazon.com: Weiman Glass Cook Top Cleaner, 15-Ounce: Kitchen & Dining
follow the instructions - this stuff works.. You can get this at places like Target or maybe your grocery store and a little goes a long way.

I love the clean look of the flat top and consider cleaning it just a daily task like wiping down counters. I also remember that the thing I hated about my old cook top was that is NEVER looked clean.

Last edited:
I wonder if some brands are harder to clean that others? I have a samsung and have very little trouble keeping it clean. I usually go over it with a dish rag and then dry with a paper towel, usually looks pretty good. About once a week I go over it with ceramabrite, and it gets off any little spots that the other cleaning didn't (usually can only see those spots when you look at an angle).

My mom has a fairly new Kenmore and complains about how hard it is to clean. A co-worker complains too.

Sugar or anything containing sugar, if burned on to the stove tops, can etch the surface, I learned this the hard way after making jam with my brand new stove. I notice the spot, but nobody else seems to, BUT I know it is there!

http://www.hotplatecook.com/product-care.html

1. Clean the glass ceramic range after each use with a damp dishcloth and a mild soap. Unplug and allow the range to cool before cleaning to prevent potential burns.

Unplug? While this may ultimately be safer, it is just not practical. Most Ranges are either hard wired into the household current or plugged in behind the range and this would require moving the range to access the plug.:chef:

I am very disappointed in the black glass top on my GE Profile. I love the double oven, but when I made about 30 batches of hard candy last Christmas, there were so many sugar splashes I thought I'd never get it cleaned. Someone needs to invent a roll up silicon top to spread out on the stove top to catch the splatters. Or some sort of replaceable, unburnable paper to cover the entire cook top.

At a yardsale last week, I found an electric countertop double burner stove and I am going to use that to make my Christmas candy this year. it might take longer to make the candy but the clean up time should take care of that! I will try everyone's suggestions though.

I have a related problem with my new black porcelain gas cooktop. Is there an easy way to clean the pans under the burners? They don't seem to be removable. Whirlpool recommends soapy scouring pads or, alternatively, leaving a paper towel moistened with ammonia on the spot for 40 minutes. The stubborn spots are sugar water, which I make daily for the hummingbirds. Does anyone know an alternative?

I give mine a good scrubbing every couple of weeks with some lemon SoftScrub and a green 3m pad. Don't forget the elbow grease.

After scrubbing use 409 and a (paper) towel to remove the cleaner. Leaves range top clean and shiny.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom