CNN's Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That crossed my mind too RB. In his case, I just can't imagine it being intentional, but unless a note is found, nobody will know for sure.

Apparently it was a suicide. But I am waiting on the toxicology report.
There is also rumor it had a sexual connotation to it. The choking thing people do?

Regardless of the facts that do come out, I still loved the guy and always remembered when he said he had the best job in the world.
It had to be a very hard job. But to him there was no better job and I agree 100%.

RIP brother!

Very sad. He was a Jersey guy; I grew up just 3 or 4 towns away. He and his friends were what he called "bridge and tunnel rats", much like my friends and I.

His recipe from Les Halles for Daube Provencal was one of the first recipes that I can remember making that I tweaked with the ingredients that I had on hand, and it because I followed his general ethos for cooking.

R.I.P., Mr. Bourdain.

He explored far off cultures as well as their cuisine. He got intimate with that in ways other chefs didn't. He wasn't your usual cooking show host. I'd like to have seen him in action where he made his bones as a top chef. He most certainly was of that caliber, apparently.

Last edited:
Something unusual happened when I told my Mom about his death. Normally, with her memory problems, she will not know who I am talking about. But she remembered him clearly because she watched the episode of Parts Unknown where he went to Hanoi with President Obama and told me almost everything that happened in that episode.

RIP Anthony Bourdain, and may you have the kitchen every chef dreams of wherever you are now.

Something unusual happened when I told my Mom about his death. Normally, with her memory problems, she will not know who I am talking about. But she remembered him clearly because she watched the episode of Parts Unknown where he went to Hanoi with President Obama and told me almost everything that happened in that episode.

RIP Anthony Bourdain, and may you have the kitchen every chef dreams of wherever you are now.

cjmmytunes, always uplifted by recounts of the silver lining behind dark clouds. Take care & keep looking for your mother's memory pockets.

That Parts Unknown was a fun episode (I also enjoyed President Obama roughing it with Bear). Felt sorry for the secret service agent who first had to taste his bowl to check whether s/he would die of poison.

There was a childlike curiosity in Bourdain, and he reminded me that "annoying" is one of the personality traits that we celebrate in our family & friends.

I like beer and Anthony seemed to have a beer or two or three with every meal.
Once he was asked about it and he said he never drank any beer at home. Only on the show.

cjmmytunes, always uplifted by recounts of the silver lining behind dark clouds. Take care & keep looking for your mother's memory pockets.

That Parts Unknown was a fun episode (I also enjoyed President Obama roughing it with Bear). Felt sorry for the secret service agent who first had to taste his bowl to check whether s/he would die of poison.

There was a childlike curiosity in Bourdain, and he reminded me that "annoying" is one of the personality traits that we celebrate in our family & friends.
Come on! The president doesn’t have tasters! You’re kidding, right?

Although I wouldn’t put it past the current one to actually have them. Among his other foibles, he seems to have a touch of paranoia...

Thank you so much or reminding me about that. Lately she will remember things out of the blue, but 9 times out of ten they won't relate to anything we've talked about lately.

Today's episode of "The Chew" was the first newly filmed one since Bourdain's passing. Michael Symon had been friends with him for 20 years and was obviously affected by this event. He used the term "magical" to describe Bourdain three separate times. I thought it was an interesting choice of word. Probably very accurate, too, for those who knew him.

This one is still sticking with me really badly. It brings back terrible memories and I know all too well what it will do to his mother, child, family members, and all those who personally loved him. The trauma of his choice will be a life sentence for them.

This one is still sticking with me really badly. It brings back terrible memories and I know all too well what it will do to his mother, child, family members, and all those who personally loved him. The trauma of his choice will be a life sentence for them.

A friend of mine posted this on Facebook.

I saw someone share this quote from David Foster Wallace. He died from suicide in 2008. I had never heard this analogy before. As someone who has never struggled with suicidal thoughts, it helps me understand the pain endured and decisions made.

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

Back
Top Bottom