CNN's Anthony Bourdain dead at 61

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GotGarlic

Chef Extraordinaire
Sad news. RIP, Bourdain.

Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.

"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html 180417110646-explore-parts-unknown-seattle-01-super-169.jpg

Isn't that something. I enjoyed his style and sense of humor. RIP.

Truly sad. He was a great chef and restaurateur, and also opened the eyes of millions to the customs and cuisines of places and cultures most of will never have a chance to visit.

Strange that I just discovered the show based on his autobiography, Kitchen Confidential.

He will be sorely missed. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I hope they can take some comfort in the legacy he left.

I'm sick over this news of AB.

I liked him so much, more and more over his years on TV. His relationship with people and food was like no other, and I felt he was a really decent guy even with all his quirky and often charming/bizarre foibles.

He was like no other, and it's so very, very sad for him, and those he left behind, especially his 11 yr old daughter.
RIP You will be missed.

Last edited:
Sad news for sure.
But I do wonder about the "suicide"?
They have released no details, but its well known that Anthony struggled with heroin addiction in his early years. Long before he became successful.

I think he may have died from an accidental overdose? He was found in his room "unresponsive".
May be more to this story?

Last edited:
Sad news for sure.
But I do wonder about the "suicide"?
They have released no details, but its well known that Anthony struggled with heroin addiction in his early years. Long before he became successful.

I think he may have died from an accidental overdose? He was found in his room "unresponsive".
May be more to this story?

That crossed my mind too RB. In his case, I just can't imagine it being intentional, but unless a note is found, nobody will know for sure.

This was such sad and shocking news to wake up to this morning. :cry: Rest in peace, Mr. Bourdain.

He was here in MN few years ago. Signing book and speaking. You could see/hear that he was not at peace. Sad.

I heard the news in my car, with NPR on the radio. What a shock. I think I have seen every show he has ever made. Not much older than me, and with a young daughter he adored. I did not see this coming.

If you go to CNN.com, they have turned the whole home page black with white text, and it is all about Tony Bourdain.

CD

I just read on CNN that chef Eric Ripert was the person who found Tony this morning. They were close friends. My heart goes out to Eric Ripert, he must be going through an emotional tornado.

CD

Anthony Bourdain was one of only a handful of celebrity chefs I could pick out of a lineup. Without cable or dish, I saw him on TV just a limited few times. I have read a couple of his articles in magazines that have passed through my hands. Other than that, I had no relationship with him. And, yet, his untimely death has made me incredibly sad. Sad for his daughter. Sad for his friends. Sad for any family members. And sad for those who knew and loved him from having met him for either a brief moment or a long-time relationship. And angry. Angry at people who feel like ending their life will make everything all better. It doesn't. It haunts all of those people you said you loved by making them wonder why or what caused you to do this, or why didn't you just tell them, da-mit, at how much your heart was hurting. They will wonder why you could not let them help. It might be too late to pray for you, but I will pray for those you left behind.

RIP, Anthony Bourdain. You should have had so much more than...this. :cry:

I looked at Tony Bourdain as an entertainer. No more, no less. I am amazed at how his death is effecting so many people. Barney Greengrass, a Jewish deli in Manhattan, set out Anthony Bourdain's usual breakfast order alongside an empty chair. Xi'an Famous Foods has donated the profits from all their restaurants to suicide prevention. Chefs worldwide tweeting their sorrow over his death. Former President Obama tweeted his sorrow. Hey, he and Obama ate noodles together in Vietnam on plastic chairs. Eating regular food with regular people in a working class restaurant... with POTUS. That has to be an amazing experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkC0jNWE5Y

I liked his shows as good entertainment, but he apparently touched a lot of lives in a very good way.

My favorite episode of his was the one he did with his cameraman Zach Zamboni in Maine. Chop wood, carry water.

This is the only clip I could find from that episode, and it is one of the best. Just real people eating real food in a real, hole in the wall place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmdgHLG9Fx0

CD

Last edited:
Anthony Bourdain was one of only a handful of celebrity chefs I could pick out of a lineup. Without cable or dish, I saw him on TV just a limited few times. I have read a couple of his articles in magazines that have passed through my hands. Other than that, I had no relationship with him. And, yet, his untimely death has made me incredibly sad...
This is kind of the way I felt, too. I don't think I ever saw Anthony Bourdain cook anything and never really paid him much attention, but it always makes me a little sad when someone feels the need to take their own life.

He was much more than just an entertainer. His genuine curiosity about the world, its people and their food led him to do some amazing things and show them to us. He was more of an anthropologist than a celebrity chef. I think that's why he didn't last long on the Food Network. What he was doing was much more substantive, so, imo, he belonged on the Travel Channel and especially CNN.

If anyone's interested, here's some background, some articles he wrote and an interview he did on NPR a couple of years ago.*

Bio:

"Born on June 25, 1956, in New York City, Anthony Bourdain was raised in suburban New Jersey, developing a devotion to literature and rock music. (His mother was a copy editor and his dad, a music executive.) Bourdain eventually attended Vassar College for two years and then graduated from the world-renowned Culinary Institute of America in 1978...

In 1997, The New Yorker published Bourdain's now famous article "Don’t Eat Before Reading This," (https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1999/04/19/dont-eat-before-reading-this) a scathingly honest look at the inner workings of restaurants, specifically their kitchens. With his credibility as a renowned chef, the article carried much weight and led to other writing projects. In 2000, his bestselling book Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly, a vast expansion of the New Yorker article that highlighted Bourdain's sometimes rough disposition, came out to great popularity.

A Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisines, an account of exotic food and his travel exploits around the world, followed in 2001. The book was written in connection to his first TV series, A Cook’s Tour, which debuted a year later and aired until 2003."

He wrote several more books, including fiction. One of my book club members suggested reading "Typhoid Mary."*
https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/books/g21233555/best-anthony-bourdain-books/

I read this haunting article of his yesterday about being in Beirut to film an episode of his show when fighting broke out between Hezbollah and Israel. He and his crew were trapped for several days.
https://www.salon.com/amp/bourdain_beirut

Yesterday I listened to an interview he did with the show Fresh Air on NPR: https://www.npr.org/2018/06/08/6182...bourdain-a-chef-devoted-to-global-street-food

I was watching the Today show and eating breakfast, waiting for Mom to get up. She didn't know who he was when I told her until I brought up the episode of "Parts Unknown with President Obama".

Both he and Kate Spade left daughters that are going to be teenagers, that has got to be so sad.

I've been awol for quite a while here at DC, but had to look up my old password and return to read everyone's tribute to Bourdain. Truly entertaining, when these days nothing on tv is. Food is more than cooking & eating; it's a communion. With family, old friends, and strangers who are to become new friends. I felt him express that in his food-oriented travelogues. He was a singularity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom