Coconut Cookies Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/9589/chewy-coconut-cookies/

This recipe turned out well for the most part but I feel the amount of butter was too much. I tasted more butter than coconut. Any recommendations to use less butter but maintain the chewy texture? Also is that 75 calories per cookie? They are smaller than girl scout cookies. That seems impossible.

I looked at that recipe. It is butter heavy. As there is no water, or baking powder in the recipe, as the batter heats, it melts the butter, and spreads/flattens the cookie. It is the sugars, and water containes in the butter that give it the chewy texture. For a less pronounced butter flavor, decrease the butter by half, and substitute an equal amount of coconut oil. Add 2 tbs. water. Bake the cookies at 350' F. for 8 minutes for chewy cookies. Bake for ten minutes for more crispy cookies.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I looked at that recipe. It is butter heavy. As there is no water, or baking powder in the recipe, as the batter heats, it melts the butter, and spreads/flattens the cookie. It is the sugars, and water containes in the butter that give it the chewy texture. For a less pronounced butter flavor, decrease the butter by half, and substitute an equal amount of coconut oil. Add 2 tbs. water. Bake the cookies at 350' F. for 8 minutes for chewy cookies. Bake for ten minutes for more crispy cookies.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. I will give that a try. If I used almond extract instead of vanilla would that distract from the coconut flavor?

Hope that helps.

I tried it. It was better flavor wise. The batter was much more fluid. Is the 2 Tbsp water needed? Maybe a little less chewy (or oily, can't tell). I think if it were shorter strand coconut flakes it would be better.

Most cookies have a lot of fat as that holds the cookie together. We almost never bake cookies as that makes DH's IBS go crazy.

Back
Top Bottom