Coconut rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. I used to make this with 100g rice, 100g water as a 80% water and 20% coconut milk.

It turns out nice although I am stuck with a lot of coconut milk in a can that I end up throwing most of it away. Tried putting it into a jam jar and into the fridge. It just splits. Could I buy coconut granules and would they break down in the rice cooker or would I find myself eating small bits of coconut?

Found these two but not sure about the second one

Last edited:
You can freeze your left over milk.
And split coconut milk is absolutely normal in Asian cooking :)

You can buy descicated coconut and make your own coconut milk by soaking it in hot water, squeeze out the liquid and repeat. You use the liquid for your coconut rice (your first link)

I'm not sure of your second link "for cooking & body care"?

Or you could buy a block of santen. Stays good forever and you just slice of what you need
Look for it as "creamed coconut". I will send a link, but internet is currently not cooperating

You can freeze your left over milk.
And split coconut milk is absolutely normal in Asian cooking :)

You can buy descicated coconut and make your own coconut milk by soaking it in hot water, squeeze out the liquid and repeat. You use the liquid for your coconut rice (your first link)

Or you could buy a block of santen. Stays good forever and you just slice of what you need
Look for it as "creamed coconut". I will send a link, but internet is currently not coop

Coconut milk separates just sitting around. That's why you shake the can before using. And, as above, a lot of recipes will use the cream and the more liquid part in different stages of the recipe, especially Thai recipes.

I keep that coconut milk powder on hand just for this type of dish. It's also nice to add to some Thai or Kerala dishes, in which the coconut flavor seems to need picking up some. Also good to add to smoothies - banana and pineapple combo is one I add it to frequently.

I use creamed coconut a lot. You can dilute it 4 or 5 parts water to 1 part creamed coconut. I shred it with a microplane and sprinkle it onto water ever dish I am cooking. The part of the bar of creamed coconut that I don't use, goes into the fridge and keeps for a very long time. I have, on occasion, had some in the fridge for over a year and it was still fine.

Here's a link to creamed coconut on Amazon.uk: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=creame...efix=creamed+coconut,aps,182&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

BTW, creamed coconut is not the same thing as coconut cream. It is a solid at fridge temperatures. Depending on your room temperature, it might be solid or might be liquid. I usually buy it at West Indian or East Indian grocery stores.

Thanks for all your replies. This is what I have

Organic Creamed coconut. Can this be frozen or kept in fridge for a long time? Just read below that this is a solid bar.

Now coconut milk powder looks better than the desiccated as you could just add a few tea spoons into the rice cooker.
I suppose I could also but the desiccated coconut into a neutron blender fin large batches.

That is House of Monara Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil Pure, Raw and Cold Pressed 200 ml. Can I use this or is it just for frying in a pan?

And finally
you could buy a block of santen. I googled this here and the UK and couldn't find anything on it.

Santen = creamed coconut.
Although, to be really accurate, santen is the product you get when mixing the coconut meat with water, and then squeezing out the liquid. The liquid is santen (Indonesian name) Cooked in, it is then sold in blocks. Stays good forever in the fridge and very long outside the fridge.
I should have called it "creamed coconut" from the start, just couldn't think of the proper English name till I found it online. I could just have looked in.my fridge ;)

You can use coconut cream powder. It should work fine. I got a couple of bags lying around for when I can't get coconut milk or cream.

Descicated coconut will give you the coconut taste, but you will get little flakes. Up to you if you mind this (unless you mix with water, squeeze etc etc

I have no experience with coconut oil

As an aside:
I always hope my coconut cream has seperated.
I take some of the thick thick cream and use it to fry my curry paste or bumbu in it, before using the remainder at a later stage in the dish

I never got the "creamed coconut", though I have seen it in the markets. Seemed a lot more expensive than other types of coconut flavoring, and none of my cookbooks - Thai, or other SE Asian, or Indian - ever called for it, and only a couple mentioned it in passing. The desiccated, unsweetened types I keep in coarse and a finer grade, some frozen, some coconut milk, liquid and powder, and some coconut oil. Coconut oil I used to have to get in the Asian markets, but now virgin coconut oil can be found in Aldi! I only use it when I want to add that coconut flavor to a dish, that I will use some other coconut in.

I don't use that much sweetened coconut, but only because I don't make nearly as many sweets as I used to. I only make them to take somewhere, otherwise, I'll eat all of it!

The creamed coconut is cheaper than coconut milk in cans. It's concentrated. The size of blocks of creamed coconut that I buy are equivalent to more than one 400 ml can of coconut milk and cost less. I agree with Badjak that it lasts a very long time out of the fridge. I never put it in the fridge until I have opened it. It's very handy to add a little bit to something you are cooking. I often use it when I don't want to add more liquid, just some coconut flavour and creaminess.

I buy it in the can...but also in the box, when the recipe calls for less. The box is about 8 oz. I find it at the better markets and the Asian markets...but here's the Amazon link (costs more from Amazon, of course): Box Coconut Milk

Back
Top Bottom