Coffee grinder for spices and peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vermin999

Executive Chef
I have an El cheapo grinder made by Mr Coffee I have had for over 10 years that shows no signs of quitting.

Dittos on the el cheapo models. I got Mr. Coffee which seems like was about 12 bucks. Been going strong for 10 yrs at least.

bigwheel

They have several different models at Wal-Mart under the $30 price point unless you're opposed to shopping at Wal-Mart, you should be able to get one there around $20 bucks or so, or even cheaper.

Fryar Tuck -I had one of the old Mr Coffee grinders for 8 years before the smoke escaped from the moder and it quit. (everyone knows electronics runs on smoke, once you let the smoke out they never work again)
Now I have a $15 Capresso. (Just a fancy looking Mr Coffee) My issue with this one is, if I put the lid back on the grinder with spice in it, some spice gets trapped between the lid and the grinder. Then the next time you take the lid off it spills out every.

I like the old Mr Coffee design better. Oah and never grind coffee in your "spice" grinder. Don't ask me how I know.......

JamesB - I never thought of using a burr grinder for spice. But then again that is what I use for my coffee.

Smart thinning on not grinding coffee in it. I tried it one time and it tasted like a cross twixt cayenne peppa and a spice market in Calcutta. Anybody got any tricks for cleaning those things so your basil dont smell like cumin? Thanks.

bighweel

bigwheel said:
Smart thinning on not grinding coffee in it. I tried it one time and it tasted like a cross twixt cayenne peppa and a spice market in Calcutta. Anybody got any tricks for cleaning those things so your basil dont smell like cumin? Thanks.

bighweel

I sometimes put some stale bread and then turn it on in mine then take a took pick or wooden skewer to get all the little crevices clean then wipe with a paper towel.

From slashfood.com on cleaning a grinder

"Coarse sea salt is a favorite, but you can also use some uncooked rice (if it's not too hard for the grinder - look at the results!), baking soda, bread or sugar. Yes, sometimes soap and water can work as well, but that all depends on the grinder your have.

Also try to keep in mind that some things shouldn't go near your beloved spice grinder. As Cooking for Engineers warns, cloves and allspice should stay far away."

Wow yall is just so smart to think of all these remedies. Unfortunantly or maybe fortunantly I have tried all the cures. Now since James B. is from over in Irving I know he is part o the upper crust type folks. So this surely don't apply to his sphere of influence but the only reason I ever ground up coffee beans is I got some free about 10 years ago. Over in Foat Wuth we like Randy Travis in that we buy our Kroger Brand already ground. Tastes bestes from a dirty cup. Bright red lipstick stain around the edge if you get my drift..wink wink. Little Baileys to take the edge off the overnight libations. Bloody Marys an hour after sunrise..then the real drinking starts. I always love to comp cook. I forget whut the bbq supposed to taste like sometimes. Who knows? Will testify in Tejas sweet rules on ribs. Thats all I know.

bigwheel

Tuck

The consensus is go cheap on the spice grinder. Pigs is right, if you see one at a garage sale, grab it.

bigwheel I must respectively disagree regarding your disdain for fresh ground coffee beans. Perhaps, I have a bias since I live in the Pacific northwest, home of Starbucks but from my perspective fresh ground beans beat the bejeesus out of ground canned coffee. Regarding the Baileys and bloody marys in the early am, you're spot on.

Well I feels your pain. I start the day with a daintly steeped cup of green tea. Now from there I move on to previously ground beans (I feel so worthless). The good news is they has now figgered out its good for a person. Speaking of coffee of course. A billion or two chinamen/ladies done figgerd out the green tea thang many moons ago. Don't make me come up there. I cant be raping no polar bears or rassling any eskimoe ladies. I am a happily married family man in the middle of wedded bliss ya know? Thanks.

bigwheel

Vermin999 said:
bigwheel said:

bighweel

I sometimes put some stale bread and then turn it on in mine then take a took pick or wooden skewer to get all the little crevices clean then wipe with a paper towel.
Use Dry Rice

Well thanks for them tips. I have done the old dry rice thang a time or two and do seem like it cleans it up nice. Still a little odorific if you gets my drift. I neva thought of instructing the Warden to clean out the nooks and crannies. I will put that plan into action soonish.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom