Comfort Food this weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bean, I can't find your recipe posted on here!!:angel::)

Here you are!

Creamy Swiss Onion Soup

3 large onions, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups water
4 1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups milk, divided
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces shredded Swiss cheese, divided
Pepper to taste

Saute onions until lightly browned, stir in water and bouillon; bring to boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 15 minutes. Mix flour and 1/2 cup of milk together until smooth, add to onion mixture. Stir in remaining milk and bring to boil; boil for two minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in 3/4 cup of Swiss cheese and pepper.

The orginal recipe (came from Quick Cooking I think the recipe is now cut out of the mag and in my recipe book) tells you to make your own crutons. You then ladle soup into your bowl, add crutons and more cheese and then broil it. I make this a lot for big family functions and tend to be lazy with this step....I just buy some crutons and add them to my soup with the cheese but skip the broiling.

This has quickly become a favorite around our place!! Enjoy!!:chef:

well, it hasn't been obvious what meals dh would be here for, so menu planning has been challanging....but today it will be dexter beef stew and NY Times bread. It is the last of the dexter beef cubes, really the last, because our friends no longer raise the dexters

My comfort food would be my Czech pork roast I posted in the PORK section.
Very soft flavors, creamy textures.

I will be making chili. It is supposedly the recipe from Wendy's (or something similar). It would make people who compete in chili competitions cry (has beans and tomatoes), but it is seriously one of the best chili recipes I have ever tasted.

Think I'll make pork chops and rice. I saw a recipe in the pork forum by John A. that looks good so I'll give it a try, and have a vegetable with that. Also making home-made chocolate chip cookies. Enjoy your comfort food weekend everyone!

Shepards pie made with venison.
With just the two of us here... there should be enough leftovers for the next few days.

Today will be "bobo de camarao" (Shrimp bobo), a traditional Brazilian recipe from the North for 12. Yeah, twelve people. Let's hope we all survive this.

hopefully, spinach, garlic, and goat cheese stuffed pork chops for sunday dinner, while we all recuperate.

i'm trying to think of away to incorporate mangoes into this. maybe in the stuffing, and/or baked on top.

Was going to make Cowboy Stew but I am not at home so I sent the recipe to DW to give a try. She said she will try and bring me some by tomorrow (as long as it doesn't get confiscated) so I can see how she did.
For me, hospital food.

We're having lasagna with some fresh french bread. My dad just figured out how to make it using our bread maker and it is to die for.

I'll be having my first try at Brisket tomorrow morning. I'll have it dry rubbed in the freezer for almost 24 hours before it goes in the oven tomorrow at 275. I am so excited!

Back
Top Bottom