Coney Island Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronjohn55

Head Chef
It's close, but still not quite 'it'. I'll confess to usually just running to the local coney joint when I need a fix...

Got this from a friend in Los Angeles, not sure how he got it.

AMERICAN CONEY'S CHILI SAUCE

2 tbsp. butter
1.5 lbs. lean ground beef - raw
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. prepared reg. mustard
1 (6 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can water

Combine everything and simmer until thick. Stir. Cook 15 minutes more. DO NOT BROWN THE GROUND BEEF FIRST.

Now, I will say, to me, coney chili has to have cumin, so I add that too (maybe a teaspoon? I usually just add until it tastes right).

Use this to top hot dogs (snappy dogs are best), french fries, hash browns, or omlettes. Or, add cooked kidney beans and serve in a bowl with onions and oyster crackers.

And remember, if you need a beverage with this, it's "No Coke! Pepsi!"

John

ronjohn55 said:
It's close, but still not quite 'it'. I'll confess to usually just running to the local coney joint when I need a fix...

Got this from a friend in Los Angeles, not sure how he got it.

AMERICAN CONEY'S CHILI SAUCE

2 tbsp. butter
1.5 lbs. lean ground beef - raw
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. prepared reg. mustard
1 (6 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 (6 oz.) can water

Combine everything and simmer until thick. Stir. Cook 15 minutes more. DO NOT BROWN THE GROUND BEEF FIRST.

Now, I will say, to me, coney chili has to have cumin, so I add that too (maybe a teaspoon? I usually just add until it tastes right).

Use this to top hot dogs (snappy dogs are best), french fries, hash browns, or omlettes. Or, add cooked kidney beans and serve in a bowl with onions and oyster crackers.

And remember, if you need a beverage with this, it's "No Coke! Pepsi!"

John

Thanks for posting this recipe, ronjohn. Hope it turns out like I remembered it as a child at Nathan's in Brooklyn New Yawk.

And remember - cheeberger, cheeberger, fries. :LOL:

P.S. If I top a boiga with it, will I have a Los Angeles Tommy's burger? j/k

Last edited:
whow... I spent some time in north eastern Pennsylvania once and ever since I always thought Coney Island Texas wieners were their local specialty, never knew they were also eaten in Detroit, too!!
I usually don't care much for chili dogs but I really liked this one, and not long ago was wondering if there was a recipe exist. Thanx Ron!

urmaniac13 said:
whow... I spent some time in north eastern Pennsylvania once and ever since I always thought Coney Island Texas wieners were their local specialty, never knew they were also eaten in Detroit, too!!
I usually don't care much for chili dogs but I really liked this one, and not long ago was wondering if there was a recipe exist. Thanx Ron!

From A Detroit Newspaper:
You're leaving a double-overtime Red Wings game and you're starving. Where do you go? Lafayette or American Coney Island! Set your expectations accordingly. Don't expect "fancy." This is NOT that kind of place. This is a place where hot dogs snap with flavor, and Michigan chilli fries get covered with cheese & onions. This is a roll-your-sleeves up, blue-collar kind of place. The waiters bark your order...they don't write it down (too fancy)! You're as likely to sit next to a bank president as a homeless person at the counter. If you see a guy bumming a dog, give your waiter a couple of bucks to get the guy some food. Manners? You don't come here for manners....you come here for the dogs, man! Loose burgers, combos, chili fries with cheese...loadem up with onions and a stripe of mustard...now that's Detroit!

Thanks gwk!! That sounds exactly like the Coney Island wiener I used to know!! And good luck to the Red Wings... I used to enjoy watching them while I was in the us, too!!:)

lol, has anyone been to coney island recently? i think most of the world would be repulsed if you associated it with food, except maybe a nathan's dog.

my buddies and i get together every summer, and drink beer and eat hot dogs in between rides on the cyclone rollercoaster, until someone pukes. then we drink faster.

ronjohn, have you ever heard of a coney island whitefish? it's a local specialty...

buckytom said:
lol, has anyone been to coney island recently? i think most of the world would be repulsed if you associated it with food, except maybe a nathan's dog.

my buddies and i get together every summer, and drink beer and eat hot dogs in between rides on the cyclone rollercoaster, until someone pukes. then we drink faster.

ronjohn, have you ever heard of a coney island whitefish? it's a local specialty...

I haven't been there in years. Used to hang out on Bay 16 (as a kid), opposite Washington Bath's (pool/beach) & have chocolate cream pie at the counter. Is the Parachute jump still there?

Buckytom, we are a mixed marriage, Brooklyn and the Bronx, and know what Coney Island whitefish are.

Why don't you post a recipe?

Yuckooooo!!!!!

Thanks, BT. That brings back fond memories. :)

Aunt Dot, what a coincidence. I lived in th Bronx too... eons ago. It's a small world.

buckytom said:

Nope, never heard of it. Here in the mitten, whitefish is generally just beer battered and fried...

(Although nearly every coney place has decent enough fish and chips. And a lot of them have smelt when they're running)

John

ummm, auntdot, lol, that's nasty, asking for a recipe. :ermm:

my family is originally from brooklyn, mostly bay ridge and flatbush, and i went to college and lived in da bronx for a while.

(cue audio: "america the beautiful" )
i could show you streets in brooklyn where a dozen different nationalities, from norway to south africa, and mexico to china, all have small shops right next to each other, and all not only get along but are friendly and supportive of each other. it's really something that i wish every person could see. it's the definition of a melting pot, and the glimmer of hope for the future of all people.

"from seaaaaa tooooo shiiiinnniiiiiiing seeeeeeaaaaaaa"
(or my favorite ending "god shares his grapes with theeeeeeeeee)

ronjohn, about the whitefish, i will have to pm you. it's not a "g" rated explanation...

oh, mish, i should clarify. people still jump from the parachute tower, but it's not a ride anymore. :cool:

buckytom said:
ronjohn, about the whitefish, i will have to pm you. it's not a "g" rated explanation...

:ohmy: Do I really want to know?? :ohmy:

John

(This doesn't involve more roaches and a squirt gun, does it?)

John

ronjohn55 said:
:ohmy: Do I really want to know?? :ohmy:

John

(This doesn't involve more roaches and a squirt gun, does it?)

John

Nope. I really DIDN'T want to know.... :sick:

More roaches and a squirt gun definitely would have been better!

Oh well, maybe we'll go for coneys tonight. No matter what Coney Island becomes, coneys in Detroit are a respected culinary treat!

John

Back
Top Bottom