Cook-Together Risotto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I snapped the picture as soon as I plated, and it did spread a little, I also like my rice a little more al dente anyway, so that along with the ton of cheese I put in, may be why it didn't spread as much as it was supposed to. We loved it and it had a wonderful flavor and texture. It was very similar to what I have had in restaurants.

Looks yummy BTAB! Nice write up also.

I am excited to try this for the first time this weekend.

Sorry if this doesn't fit the format, but here's my first attempt at making risotto. I read some recipes and youtubed the methods and this is what I came up with, never having eaten or seen it before...

Attachments

• risotto1.jpg
    risotto1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 194
  • risotto2.jpg
    risotto2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 248
  • risotto3.jpg
    risotto3.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 212
I bought a box of Arborio rice at Trader Joe's about a year ago thinking someday I would try making authentic Risotto......I guess "someday" is here. This really sounds like fun. I ate it once in Italy and it was wonderful and creamy, as I remember it had porchini mushrooms in it, and I have a big package of them I brought home from Tuscany. I saw a recipe that included Italian sausage, and while that sounds good, I think I'll stick to a vegetarian Risotto. Thinking out loud, links of Italian sausage on the side would probably make a great meal. OK, I think I'm good to go. Will report back.

Great pics and presentations, pacanis and BTAB.
What liquids did you each use? Lowrd knows I always have a box of white wine in the fridge, and Swanson's chicken broth in the pantry, aka as BTKL'sB="better than KL's broth".

Sorry if this doesn't fit the format, but here's my first attempt at making risotto. I read some recipes and youtubed the methods and this is what I came up with, never having eaten or seen it before...

That looks fantastic! How was the rice? Just al dente?

Tomorrow or much later today...I'll be working on a brown rice risotto. I bought chicken thighs so I could make some stock.

My Risotto always starts the same way, sweat a fine dice of onions in olive oil and butter over low heat, turn up the heat and add the rice(I use Carnaroli) toss about till the rice cracks, add a glug of w/wine and evaporate then add a ladle of stock stir till absorbed add a ladle of stock, repeat this till rice is cooked and you have got to your personal fav viscosity, I like mine loose.
The key is the stock, never add or serve parmiggiano with fish or seafood risotto, always make to much as the leftovers formed into a ball the next day then dusted with flour, dipped in egg then bread crumbs and deep fried is a fav of mine.
Ps I used an electric pot stirrer last time I was in the US it a very good machine.

Thanks. And yes, it was slightly al dente.
I cooked it pretty much how Bolas described. I sweated some shallots in butter, then added the arborio rice and stirred for a couple minutes, making sure to coat them all with the butter and until they were sizzling. Then added a glug of dry vermouth and about 1/3c of the juice (liquor) from the dried porcini mushrooms, along with the thin sliced crimini and chopped porcini. The main broth was Swanson's Bold Rotisserie Chicken. As the liquid disappeared I would add about half a cup and give it a few good stirs, let it simmer, then stir it again. I found several sources that said you do not need to stir it constantly, so I didn't. The last bit of stock took a little longer to cook in, so I guesstimated that it was about ready. I then added some fresh parm and some butter, stirred it in and figured it was ready to eat. And it was :) It had a very creamy texture. I should have made more.

oops, too late to edit.
The above post should be College Inn bold stock, not Swanson's. Good stuff.

oops, too late to edit.
The above post should be College Inn bold stock, not Swanson's. Good stuff.
Pacanis your pics say it all good job. Making risotto is very therapeutic so try this.
Black Risotto, I don't know if you can get fresh cuttle fish with the ink sacks so buy a few sachets of squid ink, make a good fish stock,if you have to buy it or use cubes add some chicken stock to "bulk up" the flavor, poach some squid in the stock till nearly cooked, drain and cut into pieces.
Make your risotto as you describe without the mushrooms and with the fish stock, add the chopped squid and the squid ink 2 min before you serve.

I make to much on purpose so the next day I add white crab meat, chopped shrimp and chopped mussel meat, shape into balls, flour, eggwash, coat in breadcrumbs and deep fry. I serve my balls with hollandaise sauce as a starter.

Squid ink? That would be an item I would probably have to special order... at a place that sells squid I presume :huh:
My area is pretty limited on the seafood it gets into its stores, but I'm not ruling out making it. Every once in a while I like to cook something a bit out of the ordinary. Thanks for the recipe :chef:

Thanks. And yes, it was slightly al dente.
I cooked it pretty much how Bolas described. I sweated some shallots in butter, then added the arborio rice and stirred for a couple minutes, making sure to coat them all with the butter and until they were sizzling. Then added a glug of dry vermouth and about 1/3c of the juice (liquor) from the dried porcini mushrooms, along with the thin sliced crimini and chopped porcini. The main broth was Swanson's Bold Rotisserie Chicken. As the liquid disappeared I would add about half a cup and give it a few good stirs, let it simmer, then stir it again. I found several sources that said you do not need to stir it constantly, so I didn't. The last bit of stock took a little longer to cook in, so I guesstimated that it was about ready. I then added some fresh parm and some butter, stirred it in and figured it was ready to eat. And it was :) It had a very creamy texture. I should have made more.

Always the same, we make something brilliant and there is never enough! I'm glad your first experience with Risotto was good!:)

Pacanis your pics say it all good job. Making risotto is very therapeutic so try this.
Black Risotto, I don't know if you can get fresh cuttle fish with the ink sacks so buy a few sachets of squid ink, make a good fish stock,if you have to buy it or use cubes add some chicken stock to "bulk up" the flavor, poach some squid in the stock till nearly cooked, drain and cut into pieces.
Make your risotto as you describe without the mushrooms and with the fish stock, add the chopped squid and the squid ink 2 min before you serve.

I make to much on purpose so the next day I add white crab meat, chopped shrimp and chopped mussel meat, shape into balls, flour, eggwash, coat in breadcrumbs and deep fry. I serve my balls with hollandaise sauce as a starter.

Ohmygosh Bolas, I just fell into a swooning faint. :ohmy: Note to self: be sure to make too much.
I know I can find squid, but not sure about the ink. I guess I could leave it out?

This looks fantastic, pacanis! I'll bet it tastes even better!

Ohmygosh Bolas, I just fell into a swooning faint. :ohmy: Note to self: be sure to make too much.
I know I can find squid, but not sure about the ink. I guess I could leave it out?
:LOL: if you google Nero Di Seppia made by Riunione or just squid ink you will get a hit, it is necessary both for taste and the dramatic effect.
All hail Nero Di Bolas:)

Thank you :)
I don't know why I never tried making it before.

Every time I see it, I think that I should try to make it, but it never has stayed on my radar. I know why: I cannot think what I would serve with it. The only time I had risotto was at a friend's home as a side dish. I strongly suspect it was not actual risotto as it did not have the creaminess that I hear about when people describe the dish. :neutral:

After your pictures, I'm thinking that I really need to give it a try!

Looks great pacanis!

I was going to make mine tonight but the kids wanted pot pies so I tried a new recipe for that. Will do it this week though.

MY plans fell through, too! The day just did not allow it. And I have an unexpected day at work tomorrow. Will try for tomorrow night after class.

Back
Top Bottom