Cook-Together Risotto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
lol Alix.. how did THAT work out??? lol

I made the risotto tonight... PICS!!!!

- Saute onions in sesame oil until opaque, on medium high heat
- Add 2 cups brown rice and stir for about 1 minute to mix it well
- Reduce heat.. to the higher side of medium low :)
- Add 2 cans of coconut milk and 2 cups of water
- Add about a quarter cup of fish sauce, juice of 2 limes, rind of 1 lime, salt, red pepper flakes
- Stir constantly for about 30 - 40 minutes on medium low heat (not too low, not a boil and a smidgen less than a simmer) and make sure the rice doesn't stick to the bottom, I used stainless steel and it hardly stuck
- Add 2 cans of rinsed baby peas and bag of hulled shrimp (cooked or uncooked - they will cook fast)

Note, you may need to add more water during cooking time. You can also top with basil or coriander (I didn't have either on hand) and extra lime juice if you wish.

Eat!

Looks good Saph! How did you like it? Anything you would do different?

We have been so busy here the past couple weeks that we have not been doing much for dinner if anything at all. I have everything I need to make a mushroom risotto except the time. haha

I loved it.. I've made it part of our regular meal plan actually, for the two months or so. It's SO easy - ONE POT MEAL !!! My only dirty dishes were a cutting board, a handheld grater for the rind, a knife, my wooden spoon, and a pot !!!

I don't think I would change anything about it other than add more lime. I haven't tried it with coriander yet, and want to. The limes we get here in the winter are almost bone dry though... :( so I have to buy many.

The limes we get here in the winter are almost bone dry though... :( so I have to buy many.

Try nuking the limes for about 15 seconds before you squeeze them, it can make even the ugliest of limes or lemons produce a little more juice.

My fav Risotto is roasted butter nut squash, I like the squash charred on on the bbq then purreed and added at the end of the process.
The key to any trad risotto is the rice and stock, for butternut veg stock is ok but ckicken stock is the best:)

I made mine tonight but have not loaded pics yet so I will post it later.

This is the first time I have made risotto, made some mistakes but it turned out good enough to make me want to try again.

Will post this w/e my results and maybe I can get some ideas to make it better.

I made a mushroom risotto Friday night and here are my results.

White (Button) mushrooms, dried porcinis and parmesan

5562947065_646d58a263_z.jpg

No pics of the dried porcinis, chicken stock, white wine or butter I used with this.

5563523446_b64bb4d16d_z.jpg

Cooking in the pan

5562947421_03a2ac0dd0_z.jpg

Plated up with some salmon and a few shrimp.

The risotto was not as creamy as I would have like and had a bit more bite to it than it should have. I needed a little bit more chicken stock than what I had on hand but it was pretty close.

I will try this again in a smaller batch, maybe for just me and my wife. This was our first time making it is something we both would like to have more often and perfect the cooking style.

The risotto was not as creamy as I would have like and had a bit more bite to it than it should have. I needed a little bit more chicken stock than what I had on hand but it was pretty close.

I will try this again in a smaller batch, maybe for just me and my wife. This was our first time making it is something we both would like to have more often and perfect the cooking style.

Tip: When you get to the end of your chicken stock, simply add water to your warming pan and continue to cook the rice using the water. This will allow you to extend the cooking time if it is needed...and your flavor from the chicken stock is already cooked into the rice, you will not be diluting the flavor. Keep up the stirring and adding until the rice is cooked to your liking, not to a preset time in a recipe.:)

Tip: When you get to the end of your chicken stock, simply add water to your warming pan and continue to cook the rice using the water. This will allow you to extend the cooking time if it is needed...and your flavor from the chicken stock is already cooked into the rice, you will not be diluting the flavor. Keep up the stirring and adding until the rice is cooked to your liking, not to a preset time in a recipe.:)

Thank you, I will do that next time.

@ Saphellae - I think peas with shrimp make such a pretty dish. It looks really wonderful!

My fav Risotto is roasted butter nut squash, I like the squash charred on on the bbq then purreed and added at the end of the process.
The key to any trad risotto is the rice and stock, for butternut veg stock is ok but ckicken stock is the best:)

Do you have pictures? Or a recipe that I could visualize?? I love butternut squash.

When I make my risotto, I plan to use mushrooms. Again, I love the colors with the shrimp and salmon. Beautiful and looks tasty!

Neither my wife nor I have ever made Risotto and having had it for the first time last February I thought I might try making it. I kinda knew it wouldn’t work out right my first try. The first time I had it was at a company meeting dinner function where we had the resort chef give a cooking demonstration of the food we were going to be eating. He said not to expect a perfect dish the first time.

I followed the recipe on the package of Arborio rice.

1 Cup of Arborio rice
3 cups of hot chicken stock
½ cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons of butter
1 large onion – chopped
½ tsp garlic powder
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Pepper to taste

I followed the recipe on the package of Arborio rice. It said to sauté the rice in a heavy sauce pan (brand new Cuisinart Multi-ply pan came in handy for this) in 1 Tbsp butter (I used unsalted) and then add the onion and garlic powder and sauté until the onion was tender.

Next was to add the wine and simmer until absorbed and then add 1 cup of broth until mostly absorbed and the add broth ½ cup at a time. Once all the broth was in, add the second Tbsp of butter and the Parmesan cheese and pepper.

Talk about WAAAYYYY too much cheese. It was all I could taste and the Risotto went from creamy to a bound up mess. I do need to change the onion from chopped to diced or even minced. My pieces were a little large for the dish.

I did have it cooked nicely though as it was creamy (until the 9 pounds of cheese bound it up) and it was al dente as it should be.

I'll try it again, but I won't be using that much cheese, that's for sure.

I finally got a chance to try making brown rice risotto. It tasted good, but I have never had risotto before, so I don't know if it turned out right.

I would love to hear from those more knowledgeable about risotto if it looks like it turned out right or too dry or anything else. The rice had a very nice, non-mushy texture.

I mixed a couple of recipes and did this:

• 1 cup short grained brown rice
  • 1/2 cup red wine (I didn't have any white)
  • 3 1/2 cups stock, mostly chicken, some vegi
  • 1 large, minced shallot
  • 1 stalk of broccoli, cut into florets and stem peeled and sliced into rounds
  • 1 stem's worth of chopped, fresh rosemary
  • 1/4 cup chopped parsley
  • 3 Tblsps grated parmesan

1. I sautéed the shallot for about two minutes
  2. Added the rice and sautéed for about 5 minutes
  3. Added the wine and stirred until it was almost completely evaporated
  4. Added ~ 1/2 cup of hot stock
  5. Added the chopped rosemary
  6. Turned down the heat to a simmer and partially covered the pot
  7. Stirred a bunch and added another 1/2 cup of stock whenever the stock was nearly gone
  8. Tasted to see if the rice was cooked, it was
  9. Stirred in the broccoli and parsley
  10. Took it off the heat and let it sit with the lid on, until the rest of supper was ready
  11. Stirred in the parmesan

Attachments

• IMG_2774.jpg
    IMG_2774.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_2776.jpg
    IMG_2776.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 172
Looks good! It's hard to tell, did it have a creamy texture holding the rice together?

Ok so I hopped into into the ring on this one....

Did a mushroom risotto for dinner tonight.

Attachments

• Risotto01.jpg
    Risotto01.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 160
It wasn't too bad. It is needy but you can leave it for a minute or two if needed.

I was not happy with the mushroom mixture but overall it was good.

Back
Top Bottom