Cooked pork left out overnight - OK to eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

retukita

Assistant Cook
Sorry, not another "is it safe to eat" thread!

I had a roast going last night, took it out at about 8.30pm, covered it in alfoil then left it on the counter and completely forgot about it until 6am when I put it in the fridge. Is there anyway to make this safe to eat, or has the dog just scored a leg of pork?

haha yeah I thought it was too late for the pig. What a shame, first roast pork that I've cooked and I don't get to eat it! Fewer pre-dinner drinks on an empty stomach next time!

Although I do believe, when in doubt, throw it out .... I happen to have a kitchen and pantry that are, at night, cold enough that peanut and olive oil solidify. In other words, I can leave food like that out in the winter! I didn't see where you are from. But in my kitchen, a pot of chili left on the stove overnight will have a solid fat on the top that I can skim. I wouldn't eat it other times of the year. I must say I have a good, cast-iron stomach, and I never feed anyone anything that I've not eaten myself hours before. What I'm getting at is that if you aren't willing to eat it yourself, then for heaven's sake, don't feed it to anyone else. No one has every eaten anything I haven't eaten hours before. That's the real taste test.

Yes, as Claire says, it depend on where you live... for my case, in France, if the meat was outside the house, I would have eat it... unless the cat have it first :p

If it is in the danger zone (40-140 F) for longer than 2 hours then that is when problems can start to occur. The longer it is in the danger zone then more likely you are to experience problems.

Well, if it was me, I would just wrap it up good in foil and reheat it in the oven until the internal temp back up to about 170° for a while and go ahead and eat it. If doing this dried it out some, then I'd just make some gravy to pour over the slices and serve. I wouldn't waste it. Cooking it again for a bit should make it safe again. But that's just me. I'm kind of che... thrifty.

If it was not chilled, it has probably grown bacteria. cooked food, or any food left at room temp has about a 2 hour window for bacteria to grow. even in the fridge the bacteria doesn't stop growing, it's just slowed in it's growth. having been in hospital infection control for a while, I'd say, don't take chances, dispose of it and consider it lesson learned.

I always judge by whether it's worth being up all night with an upset stomach and cramps. It never is.

Okay, so you have a roast worth about , what? Let's say $10.00. If you throw it away you lose that. If you eat the roast you save the $10.00 but you take the risk of having a hospital bill worth what? Let's say $3000.00. Which risk would you rather take?

I don't see you mentioning where you live or what your kitchen is like. When I lived in Hawaii and Florida? No way. Here? You can hang meat in my pantry (not kidding, peanut and olive oil solidify in the winter). Here, I wouldn't think twice about eating it. In other places, no way.

Well, if it was me, I would just wrap it up good in foil and reheat it in the oven until the internal temp back up to about 170° for a while and go ahead and eat it. If doing this dried it out some, then I'd just make some gravy to pour over the slices and serve. I wouldn't waste it. Cooking it again for a bit should make it safe again. But that's just me. I'm kind of che... thrifty.

Cooking it again does NOT make it safe to eat!!

This is old of course and it doesn't really matter. But pork depending on how it is cooked could be very forgiven. If it was well done roast, I bet it was just fine seating overnight, even if it is 70 deg in the house.

This is old of course and it doesn't really matter. But pork depending on how it is cooked could be very forgiven. If it was well done roast, I bet it was just fine seating overnight, even if it is 70 deg in the house.
On hollidays, my inlaws leave leftover roasts, and even turkeys out over night and serve them the next day on cold plates. I would never do it, but everybody there seems to get on fine. It is a colder farm house and the temp does drop quite a bit over night due to the cookstove fire being very low, but still. It makes me a bit cautious to eat the stuff.

It would definitely NOT be safe to eat sitting out all night at 70 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom