Cooking a frozen turkey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I see all the turkey threads are in this forum, so here's another one.
Check out this article in USA Today online about roasting a frozen turkey.
I've got half a mind to look for a small, cheap turkey tomorrow just to try it out.

Jennie-o has a turkey in a bag, ready for the oven frozen. It is in a bag, then the turkey is in a roasting bag all seasoned and ready for the oven. We have baked these for our holiday parties at work and they were quite good!

That is interesting.

I saw a fully stuffed frozen turkey at Wegman's the last couple years and wondered how that could be possible. It must use a similar cooking technique.

They don't mention how you get the bag of giblets and the neck out of the frozen turkey, I am assuming they just leave them in like my sister did the first time she cooked a turkey.:LOL:

That'd be my guess, too, Roadfix. Wait til it gets moist and season it.

And they do mention something about taking the giblets "carefully" out after it has thawed, but then Butterball comes back saying that the giblet bags are heat safe, so just let the giblets cook inside the bird and make your giblet gravy/stock afterwards.

...I am assuming they just leave them in like my sister did the first time she cooked a turkey.:LOL:

My ex did that before with a chicken. She said she wondered why she could hardly fit any of the stuffing inside :LOL:

pacanis said:
My ex did that before with a chicken. She said she wondered why she could hardly fit any of the stuffing inside :LOL:

Many years ago, pre DH proclaimed himself the King of Turkeys, and we had nicely cooked giblets still in the bird from both ends as well. Luckily they used the paper, not plastic, bags.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom