Cooking/eating today, Mon.1/18/16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayelle

Chef Extraordinaire
What's for supper?

Thanks to TenSpeed, I already know. I'm doing his newly posted recipe for Chicken Thighs in Pesto Cream Sauce. I think I may add some frozen artichoke hearts to the mix, and serve mine over wilted spinach. I'll do some pasta for the SC, and we'll have salads with it. Yum.

Daughter, SIL, and grandbaby are coming over for dinner. Chicken tenders / roast red peppers / artichoke hearts / mushrooms / olives in a wine sauce tossed with penne pasta. Dutch oven rosemary and olive oil bread and salad on the side. Grandbaby gets a bottle.

I've been tortured with the delicious aromas of my slow-cooker St. Louis ribs all afternoon. I rubbed them and pre-baked on 400 to degrease them a bit yesterday, so all I had to do was slice an onion and add the sauce.

Maybe the rest of dinner is done, too, since I made a batch each of coleslaw and potato salad for tonight, too. However, I really have a taste for mac-and-cheese as a side. After all, you really can't have too many sides when you have BBQ ribs, right? And that means more food already planned as leftovers for down the week. ;)

We're getting stuff from the local Thai restaurant. DH is sick of leftovers. So it's stir-fried broccoli with chicken, crying tiger beef (it's cooked), and sesame chicken salad. All this came with two huge containers of rice. I forsee some repurposed pineapple fried rice in our near future.

Last edited:
I just threw ribs in the crock pot and I have no idea how these are going to turn out. I like to add a little water to the crock pot, but I didn't want my ribs sitting in the water, so this time I sliced up some red onions and layered those on the bottom. I also salted, peppered, and cayenned the ribs before sticking them in and shook a little garlic powder over them. Then I poured almost a whole bottle of BBQ sauce over the ribs and sprinkled some brown sugar over that.

I just hope they're edible.

I made Cornmeal waffles (from a Jiffy box) and a trimmed down version of Black bean/ corn salad. I spread half a waffle with grape jelly for dessert.

I'm exhausted. :LOL: Tyler was here from noon to 5 while his mom and dad went to lunch and to the movies - he wore me out with a couple of hours of baseball in the backyard, painting, playing cars with me being the bad guy while he played the good cop :LOL:, a few games of Candyland, Leggos, etc....

He snacked on fruit, cheese and crackers, and veggies with ranch, and I shared a little with him. After he went home I made a couple of slices of French toast with maple syrup and a fried egg and called it good. I love that little guy but man is he a busy one. LOL

Last edited:
You are a good grandma, Cheryl! My niece and nephew wear me out just watching them. I don't know how their parents do it. (Oh wait, they're 10 years younger. Never mind.)

:LOL: That does make a difference!

I'll have him from 3-4:30 for the rest of the week, I can handle that. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Awww, thank you, ladies. :)

I'll have to give Tenspeeds Chicken with Pesto Cream Sauce a try....sounds delicious!

Cheryl, if we don't see you around here tomorrow, we'll just figure you're still recovering from your day with Tyler. :heart:

I ended up making the mac-and-cheese, too. By the time we were done eating, we still had enough leftovers for another dinner - or two.

I just threw ribs in the crock pot and I have no idea how these are going to turn out...
I sure hope yours were as good as ours, RR. I had rubbed and rested mine Saturday, then tossed them in the oven on 400 for about 20 minutes a side after I took our Saturday fish out of the oven and it was still hot. Today I tossed them into the slow cooker with onions on the bottom and a bottle of sauce all over, cooked them on low for 6 hours. Fall-off-the-bone tender, they were. :yum:

Attachments

• 2016-01-18 19.38.25.jpg
    2016-01-18 19.38.25.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 155
Publix had puff pastry sheets and shells on BOGO last week so we got 2 of each. Decided to use 1 package of shells last night and make sort of a pot-pie, with beef bourguignon type filling using some of the leftover prime rib in the freezer from Christmas dinner. Did a mirepoix of onions, carrots, half of a celery stalk and some dried porcini in a mix of bought 1/3 chicken broth, 2/3 beef broth, some worchestershire, thyme, S and P and a little bottle of merlot. Cooked that for a while to reduce, then used the immersion blender. Steamed some carrots, pearl onions and the rest of the celery stalk until almost tender. Dry fried some criminis. When liquid was reduced enough to make a gravy, added in all the veges, cooked for a few, then added the chopped up prime rib and cooked until that was just heated thru. It came out pretty good.

Last edited:
Looks delish, CG. With both you and RR posting about ribs, I'm going to have to get some. :yum: It's been way too long since I've had them. Yum.

Well, mine in no way looked as good as the ribs made by Cooking Goddess. CG, mine tasted OK, but I didn't leave them in the crock pot as long as I should have, so they could have definitely been more tender. Next time I'll come over to your house for dinner instead.:LOL:

Thanks for the compliment, rr. You're more than welcome for dinner, since I tend to cook for (at least) 4 every night. Not sure they're so good they're worth the cross-country drive, though.

Back
Top Bottom