Cooking Light magazine coming back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookieee

Sous Chef
Just received one of those Business Reply Mail cards from Cooking Light asking me to subscribe to Cooking Light mag. As happy as I was that CL is coming back, I'm sad to see that they want $20.00 a year and they say they are only being published 4 times a year. Just an heads up for anyone else that received this, but didn't read the fine print.

Four-issue years seems to be the new trend. I just subscribed to Rachel Ray Everyday (freebie subscription, but still...). What was included as a flyer with my first copy from a 2-year deal? The news that they are discontinuing the current product (10 issues a year) and replacing it with a quarterly, newsstand-only edition. I called and spoke with someone about my alternatives. I think ("think" being the operative word since "Mia" had a rather thick accent) I'll now be finishing of the remaining 19 issues with a subscription to Eating Well...until they turn that into a quarterly. :rolleyes:

Four-issue years seems to be the new trend. I just subscribed to Rachel Ray Everyday (freebie subscription, but still...). What was included as a flyer with my first copy from a 2-year deal? The news that they are discontinuing the current product (10 issues a year) and replacing it with a quarterly, newsstand-only edition. I called and spoke with someone about my alternatives. I think ("think" being the operative word since "Mia" had a rather thick accent) I'll now be finishing of the remaining 19 issues with a subscription to Eating Well...until they turn that into a quarterly. :rolleyes:

Same here, told them I didn't want Eating Well, what was my other choices?
So, I will be getting Food and Wine.

My favorite magazines, that I subscribed to for many years, was Taste of Home, Cooking Light and some other one that was "quick and easy" or something like that, I don't remember the exact name of it. I loved those magazines. Until they changed them. The recipe cards disappeared and the magazines became filled with ads. So I cancelled all of my subscriptions.

$20 a year for 4 publications, nope.

I did subscribe to Eating Well as a result of a Publisher's Clearinghouse sweepstakes entry. I've only received 1 issue so far. Not into Rachel Ray's magazine, as most of the recipes aren't anything close to what I would actually attempt to cook. Maybe it's just me, but most of the dishes are way over-complicated.

I really enjoyed Taste of Home. But instead of subscribing to the actual magazine, now I just use their website.

I've had Food and Wine in the past. I decided that it was a little too highfalutin for my cooking style. :LOL:

Ha Ha, know what you mean. I bought it once in '83. Tried it for a while in the '90's. Tried it again in '01. The last time was in '11. I figured it was time to try it again. I only had 3 issues left till the end of my RR sub. To be honest tho, looking back over recipes made in those years, we did try and enjoyed quite a few recipes from F & W. Maybe this time we might get some more goodies. lol

My favorite magazines, that I subscribed to for many years, was Taste of Home, Cooking Light and some other one that was "quick and easy" or something like that, I don't remember the exact name of it. I loved those magazines. Until they changed them. The recipe cards disappeared and the magazines became filled with ads. So I cancelled all of my subscriptions.

$20 a year for 4 publications, nope.

I did subscribe to Eating Well as a result of a Publisher's Clearinghouse sweepstakes entry. I've only received 1 issue so far. Not into Rachel Ray's magazine, as most of the recipes aren't anything close to what I would actually attempt to cook. Maybe it's just me, but most of the dishes are way over-complicated.

I really enjoyed Taste of Home. But instead of subscribing to the actual magazine, now I just use their website.
Right now, my favorite of the ones I am sub. to is Food Network mag. Why? Because it comes more times a year, and it is filled with a lot of different articles that are more enjoyable to read and the recipes are easy to make.

I think I have sub. at one time or another to all of them, and I am just at the point where I have had enough of all of them. They seem to be running out of new ideas and some of the recipes they come up with just have no appeal to me. They are using ingredients that never have interested me over the years anyway.

How do you all feel about what is happening to cooking magazines?

Right now, my favorite of the ones I am sub. to is Food Network mag. Why? Because it comes more times a year, and it is filled with a lot of different articles that are more enjoyable to read and the recipes are easy to make.

I think I have sub. at one time or another to all of them, and I am just at the point where I have had enough of all of them. They seem to be running out of new ideas and some of the recipes they come up with just have no appeal to me. They are using ingredients that never have interested me over the years anyway.

How do you all feel about what is happening to cooking magazines?

This I agree with.

And I just remembered the name of one of my other favorite mags that I used to have a subscription to: Simple and Delicious. Got a lot of great recipes out of those.

Last edited:
This I agree with.

And I just remembered the name of one of my other favorite mags that I used to have a subscription to: Simple and Delicious. Got a lot of great recipes out of those.

Yes, I discovered that magazine too late. I had received only 3 when they discontinued it. I was receiving Taste of Home, so they just extended my sub. It is sad what has been happening to cooking mag. lately.

The only paper food magazine I get is Cooks Illustrated. It comes out six times a year for about $20. It's worth it to me because there are no ads and their recipe development and product testing methods and the writing are high quality. I always learn something new.

I do follow a few blogs online, including Serious Eats and Food in Jars.

Yes, I discovered that magazine too late. I had received only 3 when they discontinued it. I was receiving Taste of Home, so they just extended my sub. It is sad what has been happening to cooking mag. lately.

That was one of their best, too. It was great for quick, delicious meals that didn't take up a lot of time.

That was one of their best, too. It was great for quick, delicious meals that didn't take up a lot of time.

I just realized, Wed. night's dinner was from S & D. April,2019. Springtime Penne, with asparagus and ham. We didn't have ham so DH used kielbasa. It was very good.

I just realized, Wed. night's dinner was from S & D. April,2019. Springtime Penne, with asparagus and ham. We didn't have ham so DH used kielbasa. It was very good.

Oh that sounds so good. I love kielbasa. Sounds like it definitely works in that dish.

No BA mag for a few years. The recipe section shrank from full page + to 1/2 page -. :mad:

I don't like to spend too much on magazines.

Same here. I don't always read the fine print. I don't know how long ago it was when cooking mag. started pub. only 6 times a year, but when I found out, I sure was glad I signed up at the cheaper rates. Food Network mag. is the only one that I am willing to pay more than a $1 per issue. So far, they pub. 10 times a year and each issue is well worth the extra money. No, I don't work for them. lol

I wonder what Rachel Ray is going to charge for her quarterly mag. on newsstands?

I don't like to spend too much on magazines.

Same here...
I don't spend money, I spend Recyclebank rewards points. Once upon a time our garbage collection service participated in the "Recyclebank" program. While they no longer offer it to those with the lower-priced plans (like every-other week pick-up, which is what we are on), anyone can sign up and earn points on their own. If you play online games, it's just as easy to take Recyclebank quizzes and earn points for magazine subscriptions - or many other rewards. I use them for magazines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom