Cooking War Wounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
Ok..... I was grating some apples (dont ask) and I decided to grate my knuckles too. :?
This isnt the 1st wound of cooking! Burns..... cuts.... gave myself food poisoning once....

Am I alone here???
21.gif

Please help me feel better by telling me how you injured yourself!
27.gif

THANKS! ;)

It has been awhile, but I have grated my fingers too. I'm sure we all have cut ourselves at least once or twice on a knife or something else sharp in the kitchen. I did something really stupid last week. My pans have handles that don't get hot on the stove. However, I forgot that this pan had just come out of the oven, and I grabbed the handle! OUCH!!! It's a good thing I don't cuss, or my husband would have heard an earful! I just yelled, "Oh shoot, oh shoot, oh shoot!!!" and stuck my hand under the cold water. Fortunately I didn't complete the grab, and I got it under water quick enough that it didn't blister.

:) Barbara

i've grated my knuckles too. i was grating cheese for my parents because they were having a fondue party. i've also cut my fingers while cutting up an apple. burned myself upteen times.

I was chopping parsley and actually sliced my nail in half on the way down with the knife - talk about a thin nail after that!!!!!!!!!

I was pulling a flat pan of scallops off the top of an oven where they were being kept warm (when working in a restaurant) and due to my shortness (Lifter's wife can relate ;) ) I tilted the pan slightly and scallop juice collected in between my knuckles - blistered up about the size of a walnut - hurt like heck!!!!!

have put lots of v shaped cuts in my knuckles and fingernails over the years chopping birds' veggies half asleep in the morning.

also, have matching burn marks on my forearms from removing pans from lower racks of the oven. stuck one arm in and burned a line in my forearm on the upper rack, so i stuck the other arm in. ouch!

I cut my fingertip off, twice, while on the job. First time was on a commercial Hobart meat slicer, took a peice off about the size of a dime! :x I had to go to the ER, when I couldn't stop the bleeding (I waited 6 hours, though! I'm not fond of hospitals ;) ). They had to use those big nitrate match stick thingies to get it to stop.

The next time was with a regular, albeit very sharp, carving knive. I was scrapping roast beef, had like 50 lbs to do, just let my mind wander for a moment. I cut thru the beef, then thru my fingernail, thru the finger & into the cutting board! :shock: Yikes! A little 'finger medallion', complete with sliver of fingernail, also about the size of a dime. No doctor this time, it quit on its own, but even after 10 years I have a funny looking scare and my finger tip isn't shaped like it was.

Another good one was on a can. Man, tin can lids leave ragged cuts. I'd have just let it go but it bled for hours. When my (now ex-) wife got home and saw the blood she freaked out, musta thought it was a drive by shooting! :LOL: That one actually needed a few stitches (and ironically I did that at home).

Innumerable burns of various degrees. I don't count those, though! 8)

BTW, Lesson learned: when the guys on the Food Network curl their fingers under when cutting, it's not just cause it looks cool!

I once raised a very hot saute pan to smell what I was cooking and my nose got in the way of the pan's lip. I had a dark brown crescent mark on the tip of my nose for days. But what was worse was the reaction of curious people when I had to explain to them. :oops:

Actually the burns I suffer the most are inside my mouth. I tend to eat my food way too hot. My husband asked me the other day, "How do you keep from burning your mouth?" I said, "I don't." I know I need to start letting my food and hot drinks cool down a little, but some habits are hard to break.

:) Barbara

Barbara, I know what you mean! There's nothing worse than taking the first bite of really hot soup(or something), burning your mouth in the process, & not being able to really taste the rest of your meal. I do that all the time! :oops:

My husband gets cooking wounds all the time. You name it, he's probably done it.

A few weeks ago, while chopping BBQ, he hit his finger, near the base of his nail. Knife cut his finger nail and all, but never cut through the glove. We're stil trying to figure that one out.

It is much better now, but as many of you know I sliced my finger with the food processor blade earlier this month. The stitches are out and it still hurts a little when I bend my finger.

Other than that I too suffer from the usual grated knuckles, small cuts, burns, etc.

Catering in private-school kitchen for a near by gallery - DUCK = grease! we had a "small fire". Dinner went on - who knows how??? I get together with that crew from time to time - it was the 80's...we were young and fearless!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom