Cook's Country and America's Test Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
I was a little disappointed. I've been watching the two shows in the title and I thought they had some really good recipes. And they always say their recipes are available on the websites.

Well, not really. I checked out the websites and to see any recipe, it first seems as though all I had to do was fill in my email address. But when I did that, I found out I had to give them my credit card number to pay for access, although there was a two week free period. Obviously, I'm not going to do that because I'll only have a computer for a couple more weeks.

So I'm a little bummed.

I think that they say that recipes from "this season" are available online for free. But since Covid happened, most of what I see on TV are reruns except for "America's Test Kitchen at home" - and even some of those are repeats!

Our library system has many of the ATK cookbooks, about a dozen and a half online. Depending on your access to a brick-and-mortar library or online access, you might have good success seeing recipes you want for free. While many people think that unlimited access to ATK is worth it, I'm pretty much in favor of free. :wink"

Also, they have a cookbook with the recipes from the first 20 seasons or so. S/B available at the library. I think it’s surprisingly cheap to buy.

I got the magazine for several years. The recipies were available from them for a couple of months. I stopped the subscription but I pay for access because at the time, I was cooking alot more and found it very useful.

Am seriously thinking of letting it drop as I don't do an eig th of the cooking I used to, but...

Also, they have a cookbook with the recipes from the first 20 seasons or so. S/B available at the library. I think it’s surprisingly cheap to buy.
I borrowed that 20-seasons book from the library. It weighed more than my cast iron and had tiny print. The photos were nice, though!

I think I'll pass on the book. What I'm looking for right now are potato recipes. So I wanted to do a specific search on the sites.

Well, I suppose I can do the search on google.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]have 5 Cooks Illustrated Cookbooks (the predecessor to American’s Test Kitchen) and one Cook’s Country (all recopies up to whatever the date of the book is). Hand’s down, the most comprehensive Cooks Illustrated Cookbook is the winner. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I looked to see if Test Kitchen uses Cooks Illustrated remarkable roast chicken recipe, but it was hidden. Get the Cooks Illustrated Cookbook. I did find an incompetent Test Kitchen article on induction cooking. In discussing the pros and cons of induction, the article missed the most important con-- hot spots. Not eve[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]n[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] All-clad can smooth out induction hot spots. [/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Cook’s Country [/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]is a good general cookbook, but Cook’s Illustrated & Joy are better. [/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom