Corn Dogs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
I love these guys, and for the most part I am reasonably happy with Foster Farms chicken corn dogs, heated first in the microwave for 40-50 seconds… and then finished in a halogen element toaster oven for about six minutes. They come out with just the right amount of crispness and heated well through.

But I can only imagine the escalation possible of a fresh honey-cornbread batter and a Nathan's or Hebrew National dog!!!

So do any of you do this? Do I need some kind of deep vertical fryer? Or are there other methods for assembling these pups and frying them?

We make them from time to time. Thickish pancake type batter. I usually pan fry, but, if you want to deep fry, cut them in half so they aren't so long and you won't have to use up as much oil. I pat the dogs dry. Roll in flour to lightly coat and then batter. If you do full length dogs, place the batter in something tall and skinny so you'll.be able to dip. You might have to touch up the batter as it doesn't always want to fully coat.

That's how I make my corn dogs, except that I fill my big wok with the cooking oil, as I don't gave a deep frier.Also, to get the batter to stick, I leave the hot dogs moist, and drege in cornstarch. I then let them rest for a moment to let the cornstarch turn into a paste. Then, simply dip, drip, and fry.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Neat! I'll put it on my Christmas Wish List.

I think you'll like it as it is an amazing toaster with quick, even browning. It is also a better air fryer than anything else I have had for things like hash browns, fries, corndogs, frozen waffles, etc., and the best for reheating a slice or two of pizza and refreshing the crispness of the crust (I just set them right on the open rack so both the bottom and top are directly exposed to the elements).

I haven't really "baked" in it as it is pretty small, but my 350°F baked garlic bread (sourdough, butter, mayo-fresh minced garlic-paprika, and parmesan) comes out spectacularly with no preheating needed, in about half the time.

I think I picked up mine a few years ago near Christmas time on a special at the Panasonic site for about a hundred bucks.

The recipe we use is much like the Chef Michael Symon recipe but seems to use less ingredients. My kid insisted they were as good as the carnival guy makes them. They were so easy to make and way cheaper than the carnival corn dogs.

Corn Dogs
1 cup flour
1/2 cup corn meal
2 tsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp prepared mustard
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 tbsp oil
8 to 10 hot dogs (what ever kind you like. If they are long ones, cut them in half)
Oil for frying
Combine dry ingredients, mix well. Mix liquid ingredients then add to dry ingredients just until all are moistened. Use enough oil to cover the corn dogs, heat to 375 degrees. Pat hot dogs dry, dip into batter, fry to golden brown. Drain on towels. We insert skewers. I've also served smaller versions as appetizers with mustard for dipping. It's easier to use a tall container when dipping the hot dogs.
I need to make a batch. It's been years.

Back
Top Bottom