Corn masa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gramma17

Assistant Cook
I want to make corn tortillas but need to know the best brand of masa for flavor. I've read that Maseca Corn Tortilla mix is bland. I will have to order online. Help!

I've never made tortillas before, either, but yesterday I ordered 5 lbs of heirloom corn from this website.

Corn Posole

I'm planning to do the whole process of soaking the kernels in slaked lime solution, and making nixtamal. I watched an Alton Brown episode where he did that, and it didn't look that difficult. Everything I've read says the corn flavor in homemade tortillas is to die for. And apparently they freeze well, too.

But if you're not interested in going to that much work, I see they also sell masa harina on the website.

I've never made tortillas before, either, but yesterday I ordered 5 lbs of heirloom corn from this website.

Corn Posole

I'm planning to do the whole process of soaking the kernels in slaked lime solution, and making nixtamal. I watched an Alton Brown episode where he did that, and it didn't look that difficult. Everything I've read says the corn flavor in homemade tortillas is to die for. And apparently they freeze well, too.

But if you're not interested in going to that much work, I see they also sell masa harina on the website.

That was one of the episodes that made me really interested in beginning to cook. I would love to make that. Working up to it. Please reply with your results and thoughts on the process! I'd love to hear how it goes.

Kraken Fan #69

Back
Top Bottom