Cornbread: sweet or not-so-sweet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should cornbread be sweet or not so sweet?

• Total voters
JKath you have good eyes. I second jkath's welcome Kori even if she doesn't know that not sweet cornbread is better. :)

I had one grandma born in GA who never added sugar to her mix, my other grandma from MS always added a little, and a dozen aunts and cousins (either born on the migrations to TX or after they got here) were all somewhere inbetween.

I like both ... but which I make mainly depends on what I'm eating with it, and the mood I'm in at the time. If it's going to be eaten fresh, or split and toasted, with enough sweet butter to require an angiogram the next morning ... sweet, also like sweet with split peas and hamhocks. Blacked eye peas can go either way - but with bitter greans I lean to sweet. For red beans and rice, or a big bowl of chili - not sweet.

Thanks

Thanks for the welcome, everybody. I had been lurking for a little bit and this post caught my attention, so I just had to take the plunge and post.

sweet, with lots of sweet butter and preserves in the morning. not-sweet any other time, especially as a side dish with lunch or dinner.

and sc, i absolutely love jalapeno cornbread. i will sit up, roll over, scratch (sorry), shake hands and beg for it...

Back
Top Bottom