Cornbread: sweet or not-so-sweet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Should cornbread be sweet or not so sweet?

• Total voters

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
As a Yankee, I like my cornbread sweet. Mine is pretty much corncake, actually. Growing up I always had it that way, and the only time Mom backed off the sugar a bit was when she made my Dad's favorite meal- Cornbread, Ham & Beans. And then only 'cause we poured maple syrup on the cornbread.

What do you folks say, sweet or not-so-sweet?

I am currently growing up in Jersey (in princeton [central jersey]) and i LOVE the not sweet cornbread. it mite be because i spend a lot of time in southern maryland, because my family has another house down there.

I like my cornbread not sweet. Actually, how I really prefer it is with jalapeno peppers. I have also heard that most southerners like to make their cornbread with white cornmeal instead of yellow cornmeal. Is this true? I have used both and really don't prefer one over the other.

Add me to the Sweet CornCAKE list. Mine is not only sweet, but buttery. The recipe I use is much a cake that it only has 4 Tbs of corn meal in it and makes enough batter for a 9x13 pan.

I like it just sweet enough that it brings out the natural sweetness of the corn, but not dessert-sweet. One thing I cannot stand is DRY cornbread - yuck! I think that cornbread should be moist and cake-like, and definitely not crumbly.

dry (unsweetened) I view cornbread as a form of polenta or tortilla. I want to be able to put ham and greens on it, or chili, or use it in a stuffing with bacon and onion. I even prefer muffins to be dry so they can go with savory soups etc. Now corn cake (even using some creamed corn in it, is sweet and is beautiful with berries and cream or icecream and melon.

I was really disappointed when a truck stop told me they were serving sweet cornbread.

I don't like ANY sugar in my cornbread at all. I like it any other way as long as no sugar. My grandmother used to make little corncakes with just cornmeal and milk and cook them like pancakes. They were delicious with any kind of veggie, but I haven't had them in ages.

i like it very lightly sweetened. there was somewhere i used to have it like that all of the time when i was younger, it had had to be in either middle school or high school, and it was yummy. i loved it with lots of butter and chili.

When I was a kid we ate corn bread that was not sweet and actually somewhat hard. Here in Chicago cornbread is sweet and sometimes served with honey, which I like as well. I read in earlier posts about adding Jalapeno to cornbread, very good. My step Dad, Ken Ratliff (now passed on), was a great cornbread experimenter (sp?). He would make Jalapeno cornbread as described above. He also would use Blue Cheese, Cheddar cheese and parmesan in and on top.

One of my favorite foods is red bean soup topped with chopped onion and eaten with cornbread.

Bryan

I like it both ways. A little sweetness, but not really sweet.

I like it sweet, being a yankee, and my wife likes it with no sugar at all, being from East Texas.

bknox said:
He also would use Blue Cheese, Cheddar cheese and parmesan in and on top.
Now you're speaking my language... cheese makes life worth living.

bknox said:
... He also would use Blue Cheese, Cheddar cheese and parmesan in and on top.

One of my favorite foods is red bean soup topped with chopped onion and eaten with cornbread.

Bryan

Recipes, Bryan, Recipes!!!
(pretty please?)

Either Way

I'll take my cornbread either way. I'm a bread lover, period, but I'm an absolutely huge cornbread lover. My grandmother always tells people how much I love it - I could eat a whole pan of it as a kid, and I actually came close to doing that a couple of times!

So it doesn't matter to me if it's sweet or not-so-sweet. I especially like it when it's light and fluffy. When I make cornbread myself, though, I do tend to make it more sweet than not-so-sweet. But as long as it isn't oily, I'll eat it.

That's the one thing I don't like, which my grandmother does sometimes when she makes cornbread - having the oil sink to the bottom of the pan, making the cornbread soggy and camoflauging the flavor. :ermm:

I like to be able to taste the corn, so not sweet for me. Have you ever put some cornbread in bottom of bowl, put onions on top of that, add some nice hot soupy chili and then cheese on top of that? Yummmm pure heaven. Down with sweet cornbread!!!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Will admit to loving a good corn muffin for breakfast though. Yummyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Back
Top Bottom