Corned Beef Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GW, if you look at some brine recipes for chicken and corning recipes for corned beef, you will see that have very similar salt to water ratios. There really isn't any more salt in a corned beef than a brined chicken, relatively speaking. Yet you never see anyone recommend soaking a brined chicken in fresh water to remove excess salt. That's why I was wondering about this. Even if you are smoking or grilling the corned beef, most recipes I came across all said to soak the beef to remove excess salt. You just don't find that for chicken. The only difference I could think of was the chicken goes right from the brine to the grill. The corned beef goes in a package for who knows how long.

GW, if you look at some brine recipes for chicken and corning recipes for corned beef, you will see that have very similar salt to water ratios. There really isn't any more salt in a corned beef than a brined chicken, relatively speaking. Yet you never see anyone recommend soaking a brined chicken in fresh water to remove excess salt. That's why I was wondering about this. Even if you are smoking or grilling the corned beef, most recipes I came across all said to soak the beef to remove excess salt. You just don't find that for chicken. The only difference I could think of was the chicken goes right from the brine to the grill. The corned beef goes in a package for who knows how long.

Brining a chicken or turkey is only for a couple - 24 hours, they don't have the same brine contact time the Corned Beef does (5-7 days).:rolleyes:

Thanks for confirming that, PF. That's exactly what I was getting at.

Even if you corn the beef yourself, you should rinse it. When I have made corned beef, I didn't use any water. I just rubbed lots of salt and spices on the meat and put it in a bag in the fridge. Turn it and massage it every day for 8 days. After 2-3 days, the salt has drawn enough liquid out of the meat to make a brine.

Back
Top Bottom