Cornmeal quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sam Hobbs

Assistant Cook
I did a little research and then tried making corn bread myself from scratch but modifying the recipe my way. The main difference is that I wanted to use only corn meal, no flour and no sugar. I assumed that the corn would provide enough sweetness. I am not sure what I used for corn meal but probably Albers.

It turned out tasteless. Very disappointing. I want to get the assumption resolved that good corn would provide enough sweetness. If I buy a good corn meal then would my corn bread taste like corn?

I found an article saying that Bob’s Red Mill makes good corn meal. Does that sound good?

I should mention that I have had plain corn that does not taste like corn. Poor-quality fruits and vegetables can be frustrating. I sure hope they are not using all the good-quality corn to power machinery.

oh, oh, @cookiecrafter that is quite funny.
@Sam Hobbs I agree a good quality corn will produce a good quality corn meal or flour.
Ideally, if you have a mill and fresh dried corn, you could mill your own.
I ordered some corn meal from Azure Standard. It smelled so good, so fresh, so corny. It's delicious—nothing like what I've previously bought from the grocery store.
I admit Bob's Mill products are high quality and I'm all for them. I haven't tried their corn masa, or flour, or medium or course grind.
Freshness does make a difference. The corn meal that I bought, after 6 months started to lose some of its fragrance and probably some of its taste.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom