Country Music

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Country Music - where do you fit in? (tell us why!)

• Love It!

Votes: 28 49.1%
  • Hate It!

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Tolerate It!

Votes: 17 29.8%

• Total voters
My DH works the news side of a country radio station and they often play the "traditional" type of country.

I'm more a fan of Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban etc. You get the idea.

Big Dog, I can add a poll choice if you want me to. PM me with what you want.

I grew up with it always on so I do have a fondness for it but it is not something I turn to when I put the radio on. There are hundreds of country songs I love, and I have always liked country videos because they are more like mini movies but can't say I'm a country girl. My choice is Jazz.

When my daughter Nancy was a teenager she said she hated Country music. When we went somewhere in the car, we had a deal. If she was keeping me company, we listened to her music (she liked things like New Kids on the Block, Boyz to Men, etc.). If I was driving her somewhere she wanted or needed to go, we listened to my music. One day I was in the living room and heard music playing in her room. I heard it more clearly when I walked down the hall--it was Country. ;) I asked her about it later, and she said she was starting to like some of it. She still doesn't listen to much Country, but she does like some of it.

:)Barbara

I've been hooked on her work since 1987, when at sixteen she had her first hit "Steel Rails".
She's won 21 Grammy Awards, more than any other female country artist, and tied for 7th among all artists.

The only disappointing offering was this recent duet album with Robert Plant.........the style of the two performers seems to lose it in the attempt to meld........... I like YOUR idea,BigDog; Allison and Charlie........ I'd buy that'n without even hearing it!

I like some country music every now and then, but not a steady dose of the popular country music. And I tend to like the "fringe" artists. Like Leon Russells album called "Hank Wilson's Back", of Hank Williams' songs. One of my all time favorite songs is "Coat of Many Colors" written by Dolly Pardon, but I don't care for Dolly's version of her own song...but Emmy Lou Harris does a dynamite version of it.

There were no qualified choices, so I had to go with Hate It. In general, I don't care for the twang, many of the lyrics, most of the performers.

OTOH, I love Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Patsy Cline, KD Lang, some of the Dixie Chicks (that's "modern country" right?) but mostly, no. not my favorite genre of music at all.

I prefer Jazz, R&B, Classical, Cabaret, Show Tunes, even Marching Band music.... just my taste.

ditto on the twang and words. old joke--i got tears in my ears from lying on my back in my bed as i cry over you.

Yfou didn't specify which country-currently I can't get enough of estrume n' tal-Brazilian Surf LEGENDS!!!

And although they are now wrapping up a 20+ year career, Finlands "Laika and the Cosmonauts" are always at the top of my playlist!!!!

My dad was a policeman up north in NJ (Livingston) and he had a C & W band on his off time. Went by the name of Eddy Wilk. He palyed alot in the taverns of NJ and NY, so I grew up with it. I strayed away in my teen years, but then these guys named George Strait and Garth Brooks came along and blew me away. Now I still love it , but there's alot on the radio I just tolerate also. Sounds to much like the pop music when I was a kid.

I loath :censored:country music!!!!!!!

I would rather fight than stay in the same room.:boxing:

One of my worst nightmares is to be tied down in a locked room and be forced to listen to it 24/7. Pure torture. :bash:

It is right up there with being forced to watch someone destroy my kitchen equipment; and my fear of heights and snakes. :ohmy:

I would be totally insane within 8 hours!:bounce:

There were no good options, so abstained from your poll.

For the most part I love older country music such as Hank Sr, Chet Atkins, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, Bill Monroe, etc.

And for the most part I hate new country music such as Dwight Yoakam, Garth Brooks, Hank Jr, etc. That stuff is just pop with a twang. But there are exceptions: Hank III, Lucinda Williams, Iris Dement, Emmylou Harris and even Dolly Parton (though her poppier stuff drove me nuts back when it was getting overplayed) and others put out some excellent music in last few decades.

Grew up with it, around it, and loved playing it. Today, for me, it has morphed into something I mostly tolerate. I still respect the talent of some of the "stars", but not all!

Well said Uncle Bob. What I knew as "Country Music" is almost non-existant today. Merle Haggard, Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Dave Dudley, The Louvin bros, The Carter Family and the list goes on.

Most of those playing what is considered "Country" music are playing a homogenized version of whats known in the industry as "crossover" music-that is to say, they straddle an imaginary line between Pop music and a form of Country that is more palatable and accessible to a larger demographic.

Thats not to say they aren't talented-quite frankly the musicianship these days is better than its ever been. Brad Paisley is as gifted a guitarist as anyone, past or present, regardless of the genre.

I enjoy all music, and try to do so without applying "labels". Its just that to call it "Country" is a misnomer.

I have come to find that for country music, people either love it or hate it. Which are you, and why?

As a child (early 60's) Country was Hank Sr. and other nasal singers which set my teeth on edge and made my eyes water.

As I got older Country became, to me, what was on Hee Haw, which I will admit I would appreciate more now than then. But it seemed Country music was a variation of

"Where oh where are you tonight,
Why did you leave me here all a-lone?
I searched the world over and I thought I found true love,
But you met an-other and (Bronx Cheer) You were gone."

Then Country seemed to split into factions, Not only was there the Hank Sr. stuff, now there was the Campbells, Gatlans and Rodgers. And they crossed over. Except I worked with a guy who listened to the Hank Sr. AM station on a small radio with the speaker and circuitry tuned to the human vocal range .... did I mention Hank Sr. makes my eyes water and puts my teeth on edge? Also hurt my ears.

That guy and his tinny AM radio was in the mid '70s and I haven't willingly listened to Country since.

What I've heard that made the crossover was ok, but was it country?

What I've seen by exposure to Pop Culture Country music has become as big buck performance 'art' and as commercial as any other form of music. I must say there is a level of dishonesty to it. And there is a whole aspect about Country Music that I've seen in Pop Culture that I would address but we don't discuss those things here.

In conclusion, if 'Country" is the twangy stuff about how you can lock me up but you can't keep my face from breaking out, If I can't change it or turn it off I'm putting in the ear plugs.

If it's the "New Country" it's nothing more than background noise. If I'm paying attention to it I'm listening for the hook.

Not to be confused with Blue Grass and Folk.

"Their taking a steam roller
And running over my two holer,
I'm gonna lose my out house ..."

"Well now its time to say good-bye to Jed and all his kin.
And they would like to thank you folks fer kindly droppin in.
You're all invited back again to this locality
To have a heapin helpin of their hospitality"

Flatt and Scruggs made a good impression.

Hubby & I have attended the CMA Country Music Festival in Nashville for the past 4 years and I can see a huge difference just in that amount of time. It's not country anymore, it's pop rock with a twang. I don't listen anymore

Having grown up around country music all my life and rolling my eyes at it as a teenager I have come around in general to opening my eyes to all types of music now and keeping and open mind.I'm finding I'm loving some of the older generation of country music stars and even getting into bluegrass a little bit.I do love me some Tim McGraw too.

Yes, I like country music, but it doesn't matter to me what they look like. To me, the music is important. Don Willimas, Alan Jackson, Ricky VanShelton are some of my favorites. I haven't see Van Shelton around in awhile. Most of the country from the 70 - 80's I love. ... Not a real big fan of Dolly Parton.

Back
Top Bottom