Cow Tongue. Bull Balls. Ever tried these delicacies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you from Calgary? I am! :) I love The Stampede. I cant say I've ever eaten prarie oysters (bull testicles) or cow tongue before though... don't really want to either! Yuck. I dont eat red meat/pork/chicken though anyway, but even if I did there is no way I'd eat a tongue. Ew.

When I go The Stampede I prefer to stick with the normal fair food. Mini-doughnuts and salt water taffy - yummmm! Good thing the Stampede is only once a year because I eat so much junk whenever I go.

While I've never tried "Mountain Oysters", or whatever you wish to call them, nor have any desire to, Beef Tongue is certainly a blast from the past & was defiitely something my parents used to make all the time. It's probably been almost 30 years since I've had it. If I remember correctly, my parents used to make & serve it pretty much the same way as one would do a corned beef.

I tried tongue once and hated it. I was not told what it was until after I tried it so that did not come into play as to why I did not like it. I was probably 7 or 8 when I tried it, but I can still taste it when I think about it. It sort of reminded me of liver which I do not like either.

I have never tried Rocky Mountain Oysters and don't think I would be able to try them if I knew ahead of time what they were. I like to think I am open to new food experiences, but that one would be a little hard for me.

OK here is a joke I heard years ago...

A guy was vacationing in Spain and went to a bullfight. After the fight he went for dinner at a restaurant that all the bullfighters go to. He sees the waiter bring out a dish and serve it to the person sitting next to him. It looks like two very large meatballs. The man asks the waiter what it is. Well after the bullfight when the bull loses the bulls balls are cut off and we serve them in the restaurant. The man is very interested and decided to come back the next night. So the next night he comes back and orders the dish, but is very disapointed when the waiter brings out the plate. Waiter, I was here yesterday and someone ordered this and the balls were huge. Now you bring me the same thing and the balls are tiny. What gives? Well Senor, the bull does not always lose :LOL:

I've had beef tongue, and it was delicious...made a great sandwich. I've also tried pork balls, which tasted OK, but they were pretty chewy.

GAK! You're a braver man than I am eveenend!

Are you a Calgarian? We have members from Edmonton and Red Deer too, just wondering how much of Alberta is represented. If you feel like answering that, PM me so we don't hijack your thread. LOL

Yes I am a Calgarian Alix, though a transplanted one. I'm originally from Winnipeg. :ROFLMAO: I've only been in Calgary since August 2005. I'm enjoying the chinooks and warmer weather...and the Calgary Flames make for exciting hockey too. Nice to meet you!

tancowgirl2000 said:
be wary though, my sources say if you want the good ones ya oughtta attend a nuttin party...but thats just from a redneck, so take it for what it is...... good luck. Hope you enjoy your trip!

apparently, true 'nuff.

we'd have the annual event in vet school, at the time that volunteers from the bovine practitioners club went out to castrate local herds, called calf-fry. and yeppers, that's exactly what it was. bunch of rednecks and lil steer-bits, and **truckloads** of beer, the latter being responsible for the non-rednecks partaking in the former. i don't drink beer, so i was safe from accidental testicle consumption.:-p

I grew up hearing them called Rocky Mountain Oysters, and no, I've never sampled them. Tongue, though, is another story. Hubby won't go near it, so I've never prepared it. It was a staple when I was growing up, though. Mom made it in the pressure cooker, then made a horseradish gravy with the liquid she cooked it in. Delicious.

Couple of weeks ago I was treted to bull balles, it was fine, can't say that i loved it, but it was fine. And the last week I made cow tounge my self. I like it on a sandwich with horseredish or mustard.

I had beef tongue with dinner last night at a Basque restaurant in Reno, NV. It was served with a spicy red sauce. It was pretty darn good. I don't think I would ever be able to cook it myself. When I eat it I just try to not visualize what I am eating.

Saw this joke and though about this post!

Delicacy
An American touring Spain stopped at a local restaurant following a day of

sightseeing. While sipping his sangria, he noticed a sizzling, scrumptious

looking platter being served at the next table. Not only did it look good,

the smell was wonderful. He asked the waiter, "What is that you just

served?" The waiter replied, " Ah senor, you have excellent taste! Those

are bulls testicles from the bull fight this morning. A delicacy!" The

American, though momentarily daunted, said, "What the ****, I'm on

vacation! Bring me an order!" The waiter replied, "I am so sorry senor.

There is only one serving per day because there is only one bull fight

each morning. If you come early tomorrow and place your order, we will be

sure to save you this delicacy!" The next morning, the American returned,

placed his order, and then that evening he was served the one and only

special delicacy of the day. After a few bites, and inspecting the

contents of his platter, he called to the waiter and said, "These are

delicious, but they are much, much smaller than the ones I saw you serve

yesterday!" The waiter shrugged his shoulders and replied, "Si senor.

Sometimes the bull wins."

Back
Top Bottom