Cranberry Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crewsk

Master Chef
OK, I want to make cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving this year. I made it 2 years ago & now I can't find the recipe!! :oops: Would ya'll mind sharing your recipes for this ruby red delight?

Here's my fave -

CRANBERRY SAUCE

Makes about 2 1/3 cups

1/ cup water
½ cup sugar
½ cup maple syrup
3T orange juice
2tsp. orange peel
1 – 12 oz. pkg. cranberries, picked clean
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger

Stir together water, sugar, maple syrup and orange juice in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer uncovered, for about 3 minutes, til the sugar is dissolved.

Add cranberries and continue to simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Make sure heat is low enough that the mixture doesn’t burn on the bottom. Stir in ginger and orange peel, and simmer for about six more minutes, till most of the cranberries have popped, and mixture starts to thicken.

There are so many variations. These are two that are a little different from the usual but very delicious. I love the taste of vanilla in the first one, and I love the combination of cherries in the second.

Caramel Cranberry Relish
1 Large orange, chopped with skin into small dice
1 c Sugar
2 tb + 1/4 c water
2 ts Ginger, fresh, grated
1 Cinnamon stick
1 Vanilla bean, split lengthwise
1 lb Cranberries, picked over
1/2 c Raisins

1.Combine sugar and 2 tb of water in a large, heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring. until the mixture comes to a boil. Continue cooking, without stirring, just until mixture turns golden brown.
2.Stir in orange pieces, ginger, cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
3.Stir in cranberries, raisins and remaining 1/4 c water. Cook over medium heat, stirring, for 5-8 minutes, or until half of the cranberries pop open.
4.Remove the pan from heat and set aside to cool. Remove cinnamon stick and vanilla bean. Refrigerate in tightly closed jar - keeps for 3 months.

Cranberry Cherry Relish
1 c Cherries, canned or fresh, pitted
1 1/2 c Cranberries, picked over
2 c Brown sugar
1 1/2 c Raisins
1/2 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Cloves
1 Orange, seeds removed, chopped into small dice
1 Lemon, seeds removed, chopped into small dice
1/3 c Vinegar (cider or another mild vinegar)
1/2 Stick cinnamon
1/2 ts Nutmeg, fresh grated

1.Combine ingredients and mix thoroughly. Cook slowly, stirring often, over medium heat until mixture thickens.
2.Remove the pan from heat and set aside to cool. Remove cinnamon stick. Refrigerate in tightly closed jar - keeps for 3 months.

And there are about a half a dozen additional recipes a mere eight posts down under "Cranberry Sauce???"... ;)

Audeo, thanks! That will teach me to look more closely before I post! :oops:

Kansasgirl & WW thanks for the recipes!

I'll let ya'll know which one I decide to make. Heck, I may even get frisky enough to do 2 diffrent ones.

Back
Top Bottom