Cream in a recipe...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deelady

Executive Chef
When a recipe calls for cream in a recipe like in a soup or such...are they typically refering to a heavy whipping cream, half and half or what??

I usually go with whipping cream when I try a recipe the first time, but most times I end up thinking its WAY too thick or creamy so I end up using half and half..... or making my own half and half and use half cream half milk....
Ok I'm no help at all....
:)

well I hope its half and half because that is what I bought today! ;)
But I was standing in the darn dairy section for a good five minutes today not knowing which I needed, so.... here I am. Is there no standard rule on what is most often used? I know when I make fettcine alfredo I always buy heavy whipping cream...

If I really want to follow a recipe I will buy what they specify; cream, half and half, whatever. Then use the rest up in my coffee. I should probably just buy cream in the small container because it typically lasts a long time. Longer than milk. Then I would always have it and I like the taste better than milk in the morning coffee.
But anyway, I've seen some TV chefs call for cream and then say, or half and half if that's what you have.
That said again, I've used whole milk when the recipe called for cream and I know it's not the same, but I thought it tasted fine. It wasn't some gourmet recipe I desired to duplicate exactly, so I used what I had. It was probably a RR recipe if that tells you anything (lol).

Well thats just my issue, the recipe just says cream, but there is nothing in the store that say just "cream".....they all say either whipping, half and half, non dairy creamer, buttermilk and of course milk.

Huh. I could have sworn I've boughten just cream, but I could be wrong.
Either way, I'll bet they would have said whipping cream if that's what they wanted.
I'm going to have to look now.... Or next time I go to the store anyway.

IMO they are referring to "cream" as heavy whipping cream.

I don't think it will affect the recipe apart from texture. It depends somewhat on the recipe and what the cream is doing in it. Lighter creams can split (we call it single cream ovver here). We always use double cream in cooking as it works better. We have single, double and whipping cream. Whipping is fairly close to double.

If a recipe calls for cream, I assume they want the heavy whipping cream. However, with my DH's cholesterol high, I tend to sub fat free half and half and haven't regretted it. With soups and gravies I've even been known to use skim milk without much change.

Well funny you should say this Uncle Bob because its for YOUR recipe!! LOL I wanted to make the stew you posted.:):)

Reason why I didn't just straight ask you is because I also wanted to know just as a general rule, which to use.

Well funny you should say this Uncle Bob because its for YOUR recipe!! LOL I wanted to make the stew you posted.:):)

Reason why I didn't just straight ask you is because I also wanted to know just as a general rule, which to use.

:LOL: Well then -- I can unequivocally state that Half & Half will be just fine!!! Just a little at first --- Then more as you like --- added at the very end.

Enjoy!!

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: I hope you just changed your recipe and I am not blind as a bat Uncle Bob!!! I just looked at your recipe again and it says Heavy cream!!! Please tell me you just added that in??!!:LOL:

And thank you for the link Pacanis! I'll take a look at it :)

:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: I hope you just changed your recipe and I am not blind as a bat Uncle Bob!!! I just looked at your recipe again and it says Heavy cream!!! Please tell me you just added that in??!!:LOL:

And thank you for the link Pacanis! I'll take a look at it :)

I bought and used Heavy/Whipping Cream ---Which ever the little box said --- I've made the Stew in the past using Half & Half because that's what I had on hand --- It's not that critical --- Your Half & Half will work just fine!!! Again...Add a little for color and richness....taste....add more if you want...To much will make the dish bland. You want to taste the rich broth, and spices.

Fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom