Crock Pot Chorizo & Lentil Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
1 Lb ground Chorizo
1 LB package Lentils- Rinsed
Paprika
Fresh ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic- minced
3 Tablespoons Chicken bouillon
2 small 8oz cans of tomato sauce
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf

Pre rinse the lentils. Add to the crock pot. Add enough water to cover the lentils. Cook on low setting overnight.
When fully cooked and tender drain. Add the lentils back to the crock pot.

Add the tomato sauce and 2 cans of water.
Cook the chorizo and garlic until it's fully cooked and crumbly.
Add it to the crock pot with all the other spices. Heat on high for approx, 3-4 hours.

Munky.

This sounds so good. Could you recommend how I would do it without the crock pot? I don't own one unfortunately.

now that sounds super, i don't like lentils but bet red beans would work.

You know Babe I was never a lentil person until my MIL made a Portuguese soup with them. Now I can't get enough.

With this recipe you can substitute another bean. I use the same seasonings and switch between the lentils or use pinto beans.1 lb for the large crock. I bet it would be very nice using red beans. Both ways the outcome of the recipe reminds me of Dennison's chili. You can cook the liquid down a bit and use it to make chili for nacho's. I'll have it on a chili dog any day!

* Have to make a correction with that recipe. It was too late for me to edit.

After you add the lentils back to the crock with the other spices. Depending on what you preference is at the time. Soup or chili ?... Add just a little more water to the crock.

The Paprika, and black pepper. I sprinkle on the Paprika. Make it look good. About 2 Teaspoons in all. Add a few pinches of fresh ground black pepper.

Cayenne? Go easy on that. It averages out to 1 Teaspoon at my house. My guys like spicy.. I'd start gingerly adding it a little at a time. It has a kick to it using 1 teaspoon. Just so you know. I warned ya.. :LOL:
It's great if you have a chest cold. It really warms you up.

I made a crock of this yesterday. Thought it would be great for dinner tonight. Went to get it from the fridge this morning. It's gone! I should have known better. A crock of that never lasts the day around here. :ohmy:

Munky.

This sounds so good. Could you recommend how I would do it without the crock pot? I don't own one unfortunately.

You can cook them in a large pot on your stove top.
Keep an eye on the water level. You might have to add more as the lentils cook. When the lentils are done. Follow the rest of the steps. It should work out just fine.

Munky.

got all the stuff, will make this next week. well maybe tomorrow. thanks for the idea. then call my son to come and get some. this is right up his alley. if the cold snap comes will be perfect. cornbread, won't have to cook all week-end. yeah!

Last edited:
You can cook them in a large pot on your stove top.
Keep an eye on the water level. You might have to add more as the lentils cook. When the lentils are done. Follow the rest of the steps. It should work out just fine.

Munky.

Thank you, can't wait to try! :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom