Crockpot Beef thing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
OK, someone told me to toss a cheap roast into my crockpot and leave it for the day and then shred it and throw in some BBQ sauce and serve on buns. I have never done this before. I threw the roast in with some red wine, garlic and a tablespoon of cider vinegar. Do I need to do anything else while it is cooking? I am feeling a bit out of my depth here. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Sounds just fine to me, Alix. You may want to monitor the liquid level a little to make sure it doesn't get too dry. Otherwise, just rock on.

Yep, what mudbug said! I have never cooked a roast in the oven :oops: , I always just use my crock pot. I'm afraid I will let it cook too long in the oven & it will dry out.

I normally don't completely cover with liquid - maybe half to three-quarters full. The steam generated from the closed lid will help keep it moist.

However, if your roast is already submerged it shouldn't be a big deal. When you are ready to shred, you'll just have extra juice in the long run.

Hmmm. I guess I'd better go add some then. Um...what do I do with the liquid later? Do I shred the beef into it or just discard it? I thought I was supposed to toss it and then put the sauce on...yes? or no? I am such a newbie at all this.

You know me, I hate to waste stuff. Why don't you try shredding your meat and combining a little of the juice first to see if you like the taste? You may not even want the BBQ sauce.

If you're set on BBQ flavor, take the roast out of the crockpot, strain (or not) the juice, and save it for soup base, gravy fixins, or some other use. You could even freeze it until inspiration strikes.

For BBQ, I'd put the shredded meat in a pan and HEAT it up some BBQ sauce before serving. You don't want cold sauce on your sammich.

Hmmm...good call. I think it might be too winey for my hubbys taste buds. I think I may use about 1/3 of the liquid and toss in the BBQ too. I will toss it all back in the crockpot to stay toasty til we are ready to eat. Now I have to decide if I am inspired to BAKE buns...or if Safeway beckons.

If you're going to have true BBQ I wouldn't have done the red wine but HEY - I've never tried it and red wine never hurt anything that I ever cooked!!!!

I would not use the juice - if you are going to add bbq sauce. When did you put the meat on?

I make a really easy BBQ beef -
I just put the roast in the crockpot with 1 bottle of BBQ sauce, and 1 can of Campbells Double Strength Beef Broth.
That's it!

Just like an easy French Dip is:
1 roast
1/4 c. mustard
1 envelope onion soup mix
2 cans Campbells double Strength Beef Broth
Low for 8+ hours

BTW - I use Campbells rather than Swansons, because the flavor is really yummy

I put the beef in at 9. OK, I won't use the liquid...and as I have never had BBQ before it will not be a taste revolt for me. This is strictly an experiment and I usually marinate with red wine so thought it would be OK. Any suggestions? Should I dump the wine and substitute something else?

Well, in our "neck of the woods" bbq is cooked pork butt (or similar) then when done it should be tender enough to be pulled. Then you add your bbq sauce then - here it's more of a vinegar based sauce but tomato based is fine too. OR since you already have the red wine thing going on you could just do carrots and potatoes - or carrots and mashed potatoes.

I'm also cooking a pork butt today but not for bbq - cooking in oven wrapped for about 9 hours. Guaranteed to pull - if you can let your pork cook until about 5:00 you will be giving it enough time for the meat to break down and become pullable. I always cook my pork to at least 205 - it's done way before yes, but it's not pullable or nearly as tender.

Sounds like you have a good base for a good winter-type meal like I'm having. Acorn squash with brown sugar and butter, different veggies cooked together in chicken broth (mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, celery), mashed potatoes, biscuits with strawberry butter - geez, I have a lot to do!!!!

Living in Canada. It is not as popular here. I had never even heard of it until I went to Minnesota 11 years ago.

Alix, quickly, here's a homemade sauce. Not as good as the good bottled stuff we can get from many places here, but it's a start:

saute chopped onion and add
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons each brown sugar, mustard, vinegar
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce

simmer 15 to 30 minutes

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom