Crumbing meats in General

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpiritWolf

Senior Cook
I am just wondering just "What and How" is the best way to cook crumbed meat, any type,chicken as well, esp: Chicken Kiev. I know how to cook them,but is it best to cook slow, or on a higher heat. The High heat cooks my crumbs too fast and burns it to much, and the lower heat seems to soak up the oil into the crumbs, So "Which is the best way for you", any help please would be great. Thank-You.:ermm:

Cook in oil first to make a crust then finish in the oven.

I've deep fried mine before, but that's not a traditional method.

I put my crumbed chicken (I don't crumb red meats) into a medium heat frypan with more oil than I would usually for a non-crumbed item but still not a lot of oil, just to get the crumbs to start to brown and crisp up. You want the oil to be hot enough so that the crumbs don't absorb the oil. Flip it over to get the same effect on the other side and then I turn the pan heat down lower to cook the meat through. I don't do the pan and oven thing. Either or as far as I'm concerned. Seems to work well enough for me.

you never want to fry at low temperatures. when you deep/fry something, you are boiling the water in the food, which creates steam. that steam pushes out of the food and stops oil from seeping in. if the temp is too low, you will just end up soaking oil into the meat, making a semi-greasy meal, and no amount of paper towel can rectify that. Cooking in oil first than finishing off in the oven is the only way to get around that, and will produce the best results.

I don't have sufficient oil in the pan for that to be relevant. I only have enough to get the crumbs crisp and stop the item from sticking. I don't truly shallow fry and I only deep fry when I am doing a fondue. The crumb is crisp when you cut into in and the meat cooked through.

Back
Top Bottom