CT - Mystic or RI - Newport ... any favorites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
Lou and I are headed to Mystic and Newport in early July. While it may seem months away, I'm a planner. When we vacation, almost every minute is accounted for. This way, in the event we never get to return, we've done as much as was possible.

So...while I've already done some preliminay web searches on both areas, does anyone have any favourites?

Rhode Island is run by the mafia.

Connecticut is run by the insurance industry.

Pick your poison. ;)

Both states are dear to my heart. You cannot go wrong with either destination. Your destined to have a great time in either town. I've never personally been to those towns, but I have heard great things about them. Seeing as I'm am originally from CT, I say go to Mystic! The rest of my family is from R.I. How can you go wrong in coastal towns?!

I've never been to Mystic but liked Newport. Quaint seaport village with nice shops and restaurants. Newport has the added attraction of the mansions you won't find elsewhere.

LMJ said:
Rhode Island is run by the mafia.

Connecticut is run by the insurance industry.

Pick your poison. ;)

Lou and I are familiar with the mafia...we'll fit right in.

amber said:
Both states are dear to my heart. You cannot go wrong with either destination. Your destined to have a great time in either town. I've never personally been to those towns, but I have heard great things about them. Seeing as I'm am originally from CT, I say go to Mystic! The rest of my family is from R.I. How can you go wrong in coastal towns?!

We'll be visiting both, since we're staying about 15 minutes from Mystic and about 40 minutes from Newport. I agree, coastal towns are the best.

Andy M. said:
I've never been to Mystic but liked Newport. Quaint seaport village with nice shops and restaurants. Newport has the added attraction of the mansions you won't find elsewhere.

Many years ago I did the mansion tour and loved it. It wasn't good for my ego, but I do like the pretty things. I'm sure Lou will enjoy it, as well.

TATTRAT said:
Little Compton, RI. And don't forget to go to Willburs'.

Little Compton is a cool spot. Quaint little coastal village. We stayed at a B&B next to a winery there last spring and had a great time.

There is a little cheese shop where you can get some fantastic cheese (try the French Munster), bagette, sausage, olives, etc and do a very romantic picnic. Check out the coastal park at Point Judith.

In Mystic there is a cool little place called Kitchen Little and it is TINY. They have amazing breakfasts. The Steak Loft in Old Mystic Village has an amazing salad bar and we've never been disappointed with their menu. In Noank-which isn't too far from Mystic there is Abbott's Lobster in the Rough. There is a small inside dining room- like a screened in porch and then there are picnic tables outside by the water. Ther lobster's are good anad the views even better.A little way down the same street (Pearl St.) There is Costello's fried clam bar- we've never been ther but,heard it's good. Downtown Mystic is really a neat place to walk -there are a lot of little shops and the draw bridge going up always attracts a crowd-There's Mystic Seaport and Olde Mystic Village (which is just a bunch of little shops)and the Aquarium which is right next store to the Village.I know there are a million other things that we have visited but, I can't think of any right now.I 'll post them when I remember them. Have fun planning your trip-Love and energy, Vicki

other than the fact that i'm from newport (plenty reason enough to go) you won't be able to get johnny cakes or stuffed quahogs (pronounced koe-hawgs) in mystic.

unfortunately, it's been a good 5 years since i've been able to get back, so it's anyone's guess which restaurants are still in business. christie's and salas's are sure to still be around;good family style dining downtown on the waterfront. clarkes cookhouse is also on the waterfront; the food is ok, but the place is mainly memorable for me due an amusing incident involving my best friend who was waitering (bussing?) and moi showing up after my very first encounter with a large bottle of cheap wine.

two places i used to chef at were the oceancliff hotel and the castle hill inn; thethe quality of the oceancliff's fare has gone up and down over the years due to ownership changes and the head chefs that come and go, but it does have nice views, especially around sunset. if you cand afford the inn at castle hill, you won't be dissappointed. as i recall, it's also just about right next to jaqueline kennedy's childhood home.

the white horse tavern has been going since the 1600's i think, so if you want authentic colonial atmosphere it's nice. it has a ghost, which my mom has seen. us kids used to do dishes there when my mom couldn't find or afford a baby-sitter. i never saw the ghost, but old mr. clark, the alcoholic head chef, was close enough.

there are still a couple of old-style diners which are good for breakfast and lunch; one near the bowling alley and the other off of the rotary near the entrance for the newport bridge. i think that this is the diner where you can still get johnny cakes for breakfast, with a side order of chorizo if you feel like it.
if you happen to be leaving the island via the bristol bridge around evening, it's worth stopping at balzano's for family style spaghetti and steamers.

hope you have the best of trips. feel free to pick up some johnnycake meal to send me.
icon12.gif

Hi Vicki
I actually read about Abbot's Lobster place just two weeks ago, as I started making preliminary plans. Both Lou and I are eagre to stop there! I like the idea of a picnic blanket, a bottle of wine and great lobster! Thanks for the other tips, too.

Philso, if you really do want the johnny cakes, or even a mix, just say so and they're yours.
I love the idea of a 1600s tavern, especially with a ghost. There is a place in Philly called City Tavern where the country's forefathers dined and discussed a new paper they were writing, called the Declaration of Independence. I love it there, as well! I'm sure we'll stop by the White Horse Tavern.

VeraBlue said:
Philso, if you really do want the johnny cakes, or even a mix, just say so and they're yours.
I love the idea of a 1600s tavern, especially with a ghost. There is a place in Philly called City Tavern where the country's forefathers dined and discussed a new paper they were writing, called the Declaration of Independence. I love it there, as well! I'm sure we'll stop by the White Horse Tavern.

Thanks for the offer vera. actually, i could ask my mom or sister to send some, but considering that a $2 or so box cost probably $20 + for air parcel post, i guess i'll just continue to suffer, being the martyr type that i am.

on the other hand, one of these years when my life gets a little simpler (haha, yeah, right!), i'm planning to head back to the states, and ride my bicycle from the west coast to the east coast, expressly to take you up on that old offer of the eggs benedict with the chorizo and cilantro hollandaise. boy does my mouth water every time i think of that.
icon12.gif

Vera- We're headed to Mystic tomorrow for the day- we paln on hitting a couple of the wineries and Abbott's of course - I will definitely let you know of any "finds" !!Love and energy, Vicki

vb, the inn at mystic is a favourite of ours. nice rooms: canopy beds, antique-ish (what do i know about old crap) furniture, fireplace, and in room jacuzzis for 2. very nice place, and a decent restaurant to boot.
you get access to their private "beach", and it's close to mystic harbor.

in newport, check out the watch hill inn, and the doubletree islander hotel on goat island. both are a little pricey but worth it. the oceancliff, as philso mentioned, is just far enough out of the way to be quiet and private, and the views are great!

don't forget to visit the tennis hall of fame when in newport... lol, just kidding. booooooring!
get liquored up in the harbor and just people watch. try to guess who's a local and who's a tourist, and who's in the mafia.

Last edited:
VickiQ said:
Vera- We're headed to Mystic tomorrow for the day- we paln on hitting a couple of the wineries and Abbott's of course - I will definitely let you know of any "finds" !!Love and energy, Vicki

I'll be looking for your reviews!

Back
Top Bottom