Cucumber Salad TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the half sour pickles can be made with the salad cucumbers. I think we talked about that on a forum in ages past, but I never made them. I think I could eat a jar of them by myself.

There's also the traditional Polish way of slicing the cukes, salting them, draining them, and preparing the salted slices with vinegar, sugar and dill weed. Simple and delicious.

How funny. My usual first course on Thanksgiving is a very vinegar-y, thin-sliced cuke salad topped with a few shrimp. Well, this year one of my guests was supposed to show with red cabbage side dish, and showed with a salad, to include sliced cucumbers. So I shelved my salad, and fed the shrimp to our favorite feral kitty. Then one guest showed up and asked where my great salad was. This guest could care less about the shrimp, so I just pulled out the bowl of marinaded, thin-sliced cucumbers. (Yes, salted and drained, rinsed, then dressed). I've had versions of this both Asian and Germanic and it is always a huge hit.

There's also the traditional Polish way of slicing the cukes, salting them, draining them, and preparing the salted slices with vinegar, sugar and dill weed. Simple and delicious.

Polish? I guess it's Baltic, because that's how Danes do it. BTW, it keeps in the fridge for weeks and it's great as a garnish for open faced sandwiches.

my deceased brother in law used to make a tasty cucumber salad. it involved cucumber and onion and i think sour cream. can never duplicate the seasonings. anyone have ideas?

Here is one I like.

Dilly Cucumber Salad

3/4 cups sour cream
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
2 medium Cucumbers thinly sliced

Mix sour cream, garlic, sugar, salt and dill weed. Stir in cucumbers. Dress right before serving. 6 servings.

When I was first placed on a restricted salt diet I tried it with no salt. It Really needs salt to balance the sugar. You can try to lower that amount to suit your tastes or diet.:chef:

Last edited:
Thanks, Patty1. I've been looking for this receipe. A friend of mine lost weight and said she snacked on cucumbers in vinegar. It sounded good to me, but I never had a recipe to try that sounded good.

Copied, pasted and printed.

Here is one I like.

Dilly Cucumber Salad

3/4 cups sour cream
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
2 medium Cucumbers thinly sliced

Mix sour cream, garlic, sugar, salt and dill weed. Stir in cucumbers. Dress right before serving. 6 servings.

When I was first placed on a restricted salt diet I tried it with no salt. It Really needs salt to balance the sugar. You can try to lower that amount to suit your tastes or diet.:chef:

This recipe sounds really good to me too. Unfortunately, I don't have sour cream or even cream cheese.

I did buy the cukes, peeled and sliced them thin, and put into a container with a healthy sprinkle of Balsamic Vinegar. I do have a little dill left. I'll add the sugar before I go to bed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom