Cullen's Jungle Curry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheHummer

Cook
This is a recipe from Cullen's restaurant in Hamilton, down here in New Zealand. It is from a column in a magazine here where people request their favourite recipes from restaurants, usually a very good source for some impressive eating. Enjoy! I have.

2 onions, roughly chopped
2 tbsp oil
1 tbsp each : finely chopped chilli, garlic, root ginger
4 tomatoes, roughly diced
100 g Tom Yum paste
4-6 chicken thigh fillets or chicken breasts, diced
1 red pepper (capsicum), seeded and diced
2 400g tins of coconut cream
2 bunches of coriander
2 cups jasmine rice

1 Sweat the onions in the oil, until transparent. Add the chilli, garlic, ginger and tomatoes and cook until soft. Add the Tom Yum paste and stir well. Add the chicken and pepper, stirring constantly. When mixed add the coconut cream.
2 Bring to the boil then simmer for 45 - 60 minutes - the longer the better. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander - leaves and stalk (hence the term 'Jungle').
3 Meanwhile, prepare the rice. Wash before cooking, rinsing it until the water runs clear (this helps prevents sticking during the cooking). Place the rice in a saucepan and cover with cold water (2:1 ratio). Mix in a little olive oil and gently simmer until cooked.

Servings: 6

Sounds very good. I love Thai based curry's. I will give it a try. What is Tom Yum paste. Can you substitute Thai red curry paste instead.

Tom Yum paste is a hot and sour curry paste and is used to make Thai Hot and Sour soup. Red Curry paste should work, but will probably lose a little of the falvour Tom Yum brings to the dish.

thanks again for another good recipe hummer. i have tom yum paste in the fridge; a tbsp or 2 into boiling water, toss in a bit of chicken, scallions and mushroms, and you have a great soup for what ails ya...

Back
Top Bottom