custom pit question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnnyReb

Senior Cook
i am looking into having a pit built. It will be 2 55 gallon drums end to end.

do you guys think a chargriller side fire box would provide enough heat for that much space ?

With my experience, I don't think that would be enough.
I have a Char Griller, and it barely heats up the small chamber.

If I was you I would go with a larger firebox like 20x20 or 24x24. It will make you life easyer in maintaing the fire. And I do not think the will be big enough to heat that pit.

Chris

Putting 2 drums end to end is quite a large space to heat evenly. A third barrel, offset, would supply better heat and allow you to burn big sticks of wood. Either that or place the 3rd one behind the other two to supply heat from the rear. :)

Where can you get instructions for building barrel smokers? Someone in town sells used barrels for $10 each. I now they must be cleaned and burned prior to cooking with, but is that a good price. Might pick up a couple just to fool with for fun. If noting else I'd put 2 end-to-end an make a grill for large hamburger cooks.

txpgapro said:
Where can you get instructions for building barrel smokers? Someone in town sells used barrels for $10 each. I now they must be cleaned and burned prior to cooking with, but is that a good price. Might pick up a couple just to fool with for fun. If noting else I'd put 2 end-to-end an make a grill for large hamburger cooks.

Here is how I did mine
http://www.thesmokering.com/pits/metalp ... efault.jsp

its gonna be 2 end to end not stacked

i think i will just get him to make a box for the side as well

im not sure if he knows alot about pits, hes just making grills and i asked if he could make one bigger and he said he could put 2 together. thats when i started thinking about a side fire box

what guage metal should the sfb be?

he said the drums he has had fish oil stored in it

My drums had motor oil it them. I just cleaned them out well, then burned them out after building the smoker. I didn't taste any bad stuff...and I'm still alive.

Cliff,

That really is a good site. I wish I had seem that site when I had built mine.
Mine is in need of serious repairs. That is why I bought a bar-B-Chef and now a WSM all since December.

crazyhorse said:
i am looking into having a pit built. It will be 2 55 gallon drums end to end.

do you guys think a chargriller side fire box would provide enough heat for that much space ?

I have one now done that way with one barrel it heats up to 300 degrees very well and keeps the heat . I just got a deal on 2- 55 gallon steel drums withh add the same firebox and chimmney on oposite side of the smoker , works for me . I use regular Kingsford charcole and wood in tandem .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom