Cutco Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two Cutco knives. One I inherited. A 9 1/2" slicer, dull by now, and a trimmer (an obligatory purchace). The only thing the trimmer is good for is cutting and scraping corn off the cob. I am always dropping the knife or it falls out of something, yes I am clumsy too. I don't plan to buy another, and I wish I had my money back. My sister has a whole set and she doesn't like hers either. I will stick to my Dexter Russell (high in carbon, keeps a good edge, and is moderately priced).
A consumer/purchaser

bege,

Glad to see another Dexter Russell fan. My favorite knife is a big ole scimeter that I use for diverse things from portioning roasts into steaks to cleaning 500 lb. marlins and 200 lb tuna.

I agree with you. The DR blade is one of the better knives when it comes to holding and edge and the ease of keeping that edge.

It's not forged, but it's still a heck of a knife.

I bought my Cutco knives in 1964. Still sharp! I like the handles. They're comfortable to use. They've never rusted or shown signs of corrosion.

Psi, as always, I sincerely enjoy your additions. But I've gotta add a significant amount of jealousy over the damascas blade Japanese knives. Please DO let me know if you ever plan on adding them to a garage sale -- I'LL BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Audeo said:
Psi, as always, I sincerely enjoy your additions. But I've gotta add a significant amount of jealousy over the damascas blade Japanese knives. Please DO let me know if you ever plan on adding them to a garage sale -- I'LL BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL. Believe it or not, they're in my will. They are going to somebody who knows what they are and will appreciate and care for them.

The really neat thing is, you know the layering of the metal? How they form all these squiggly lines? Well, these knives have an area where the squiggly lines have the form of Mount Fuji. How this master did this, I don't know.

These knives were bought my my mom on trips she took to Japan in the late 60s and eary 70s. I never knew how special these knives were until I saw a program on tv about the master swordsman who made them.

You could always leave them to me - not only do I know what they are, how they are made (well, all but the mountain thing - though if I remeber I will look that up sometime), and how to care for them I have one of thier big brothers (A sword) :)

Just better not tell me so and where you live....I may want them sooner than you would like to give :)

Cutco knives are fair in quality and do an adequate job in the kitchen. My objection is to the marketing and sleezy business tactics Cutco is involved in. Go to Google newsgroup search and type in Cutco and Vector. Then get ready to read hundreds of articles on this company.

Even if you like the knives, the disturbing information you'll find might make you like them a little less!

cutco?

Hiya Folks
If you want to do fine accurate cutting you will want a balanced medium heavy knife. Cutco and other infomercial knives may be fine for homeowners but people that use thier knives for hours on end every day use real knives such as trident, henckel,global, sabatier etc. So what if one knife costs 120.oo$ you only have to buy it once if properly cared for period. I have been working in kitchens for 18 years and I still have my first set of professional quality knives.
Currently at work I use a mix of trident ,henckel, global,gehring and Icel knives. These are my tools and when you are cooking for about 100 people twice day they are worth it.
The last time incidently I had my knives professionally sharpened was on on 9/11. That is the only way I can remember when. It has been that long since I have done so because I use a high carbon steel everytime I use them. These do not remove metal just reallign the edge. Stones will kill a knife fast in the wrong hands.
Peace out
DSCN0640(1).jpg

Psiguyy said:
bege,

Glad to see another Dexter Russell fan. My favorite knife is a big ole scimeter that I use for diverse things from portioning roasts into steaks to cleaning 500 lb. marlins and 200 lb tuna.

I agree with you. The DR blade is one of the better knives when it comes to holding and edge and the ease of keeping that edge.

It's not forged, but it's still a heck of a knife.

I like Dexter knives too, although my favorite knives are vintage Sabatier carbon steel knives. The next favorite brand for me are the old wonderful carbon steel forged Dexters, I saw my grandmother and grandfather [both excellent cooks] use everyday.

I have some of them, and have collected more. I plan on displaying/storing them on super strong magnetic knife racks on the soffits over my wall cabinets. They look like the monsters that Julia Child used in her first show -- The French Chef.

They bring wonderful memories of good food, and are in and of themselves great knives!

I have a cutco set and love it! I'll admit it cost me a pretty penny, but I love to cook, so my rationale is that a good knife set should last me a life time. And my cutco rep said that he could come out to my house and sharpen my knife if I ever need sharpening. I think I've had the set for 3 years now and still don't need to have my knives sharpened.

Prior to my purchase, I didn't do much knife research. I had used cutco before and liked them so went ahead and went online to find a rep.

I also do not like Cutco knives...I own Wustoff trident knives and love them. My only comment is if you are posting on so many sites the same reveiw...Do you not think others would respect you reveiw more if you told us why you were posting so many sites...or what your occupation was...or why you have such a hate on for one particular brand? I don't know....just wondering :D

To bring up an old topic:

13 years ago I got a "job" as an independent contractor for Vector. The first thing I had to do was buy a $300 sample kit. Then, they wanted me to pay for training seminars all over the place. I would not attend the seminars, and really wasn't successful selling the knives. I was under the impression that they made most of their money selling sample kits and seminars. (I quit very shortly thereafter.)

13 years later, my Double D edge knives still cut (not rip or tear) very well. You see, the points of the knife protect the cutting surfaces which the knife_reviewer called "crevices". My Cutco straigt edge knives are "okay", but need sharpening. I love the handles, and the balance is great.

As for the steel quality, my entire education on the topic came from Vector, So I would be biased if I attempted to discuss it.

One of my handes got burnt by an electric stove unit, and one of my table knives got in contact with chlorine bleach and pitted real bad.

This is my experience with Cutco/Vector.

Last edited by a moderator:
??

well since i am a cutco owner and have never had any probles with my knives being sharp or falling apart i took your challenge and went into your posting to see what i could find.this is a quote from:http://www.sff.net/people/pff/steel.txt

and it says:

"The carbon content (and hardenability) of this stainless steel goes up
in order from A (.75%) to B (.9%) to C (1.2%). 440C is an excellent,
high-end stainless steel, usually hardened to around 56-58 Rc. All
three resist rust well, with 440A being the most rust resistant, and
440C the least."

This is contradictory to what you said in your first paragraph and im sure with some more research the rest of your posting will turn out to be garbage because your parents or grandparents didnt want to buy any from you.

iceman, who are you talking to? The original poster is LONG gone from the site. Are you talking to the last poster here?

Ummm.... I have a very motley mix of knives: Wusthof, Henckels, Deglon, 20 year old Hoffritz, and Cutco. Most of these knives were purchased because I wanted/needed a particular knife, and/or I found a good buy.

However, the Cutco knives were bought for friendship's sake, one at a time. Sometimes a serrated knife comes in handy. These do work. That said, they do cost a lot for stamped, serrated knives, and they aren't the first I reach for. And I do find the handles less comfortable than most.

If you want to buy them to support your friends, go ahead. But you'll probably want other knives, too. And if you are on a budget, these are not your best choice.

My girlfriend and her parents have Cutco knives, and she absolutely hates them. I have never had any, but have had the opportunity to use them on occaision when cooking at her place. I have not been impressed. I tried to slice a tomato, and I had to "pierce" the skin with the tip of the knife before I could do any slicing. I hate dull knives and notice them every time, and I have never picked up a sharp Cutco.

That being said, I don't think I'll ever purchase any myself. My favorite knives include a Calphalon Santoku, a 9" Michael Graves Chef Knife from Target, and a 4" Michael Graves Parer also from Target. The 2 Target knives were under $20 total. They are stamped I think, but the handles feel great in my hand and they are pretty heavy, which I like. The Santoku was $40 and though it is light, it is definately forged and has the bolster. They all stay pretty sharp, though I think I may need to take the lot to a professional knife sharpener soon.

Yea, I have the Ronco knives. They do the job, but they are no miracle like Ronny boy says. But hey whatever works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom