Cutco Knives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed that no one has mentioned anything about the sles of cutco knives, or its history. So it's very difficult to get a true opinion if you are reading a post from some "kid" who didn't want to work, and people who claim they know everything they know about knives.

I'll start by helping some of you out with the product.
Cutco makes two types of edges;
One is a staight edge knife. They have a few because straight edges because they are used for chopping, dicing, and peeling. The problem with straight edges are they rub on hard surfaces like cutting boards, and countertops, so they get dull fairly quickly.
The second is the Double D edge, which is built with a series of three STRAIGHT edges that cut in different directions. The points are designed from preventing the edges from touching the counter, preventing it from dulling. They cut just like a straight edge forwards and backwards, except because the edges don't touch the surface, they don't chop or dice.

Straight edge knives, no matter which compnay, all get dull when you rub it along a surface. Tehy can stay sharp for a long time once they are only hitting it not rubbing along it. Thats why knives like a paring knife which is supposed to be used in the air usually stays sharp a while. Chef knives if used properly are supposed to be used on the board to chop, nict slice. They can also stay sharp a long time. Carving knives must go back and forth, so do bread knives. Thats why they get dull. So cutcos double d edge does the slicing jobs well.

If you ever hear someone saying their cutco knife they bought is dull it's because of one main reason. That person only has straight edges, so because the sales rep told them cutco stays sharp for a long time, they think that means the straight edges and unfortunately they will be dissapointed with it.

Lets be honest, a new rep can easily make the mistake of not explaining to the customer the difference between the two. However, once customers understand the differences, they will be really happy with them, because 90% of people don't know how to use knives properly.

So just remember, straight edges for chopping, dicing, and peeling. Double D edges for slicing and carving only!

dougery said:
Cutco knives are fair in quality and do an adequate job in the kitchen. My objection is to the marketing and sleezy business tactics Cutco is involved in. Go to Google newsgroup search and type in Cutco and Vector. Then get ready to read hundreds of articles on this company.

Even if you like the knives, the disturbing information you'll find might make you like them a little less!

What makes you think everything you read online is true. There are websites on line that also state the pope is a minion of satan, Mcdonalds is a scam, Coke supports anti sematic groups, you name it. Best thing for you to do is to get some real info by asking REAL people. Don't take everything you read at face value, you could seriously misjudge people without hearing everyhting.

All I can say is that my wife unfortunately fell for the sales pitch and presented me with a Cutco set for Christmas a few years ago. While they mostly perform as pitched, they are woefully overpriced for what you get. While I have the Cutco set, including an 8" chef, I rarely use anything from it but the paring and bread knife. For other jobs I use the Wusthoff 6" chef and 5" boning knives that I bought a couple years later. The design and feel of the Wusthoff is like a finely tuned instrument, while the Cutco feels more like the endless variety of cheap knives that my mother had when I was growing up..

This from one who has used both.

"The carbon content (and hardenability) of this stainless steel goes up
in order from A (.75%) to B (.9%) to C (1.2%). 440C is an excellent,
high-end stainless steel, usually hardened to around 56-58 Rc. All
three resist rust well, with 440A being the most rust resistant, and
440C the least."

This is contradictory to what you said in your first paragraph and im sure with some more research the rest of your posting will turn out to be garbage because your parents or grandparents didnt want to buy any from you.
quote- because i couldn't get the quote button to work for my reply
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

440a is seldom used in knives because of its poor edge holding ability in relation to other steals designed for the making of knives and cutting tools like 440c. It is very corrosion resistant and can be found most commonly in dive knives. I believe serrated knives would fair better than traditional knives made from this metal because the edge is protected by the serrations. Tempering is very important in knives. A poor steal properly tempered will outperform the best steal that has been been badly tempered.

Nothing wrong with 440C. In fact, a lot of cheap knives could cross into "good, cheap knife"-territory if the manufacturers upgraded from 420.

Also: Aieee! Zombie thread! I've been bitten...

ReelChef, what I wanna know is why do all the professional chefs wear those checkered pants?

To keep their legs warm!

ReelChef, what I wanna know is why do all the professional chefs wear those checkered pants?

Because all professional chefs are related, however distantly, to Bozo the Clown!

bozo_head.jpg

The 440a is seldom used in knives

Wrongo!

Chad Ward, who has a book coming out in a couple months says it very well:

"So why are most kitchen knives so bad?

The knives found in most commercial and home kitchens are designed for the lowest common denominator. The manufacturers of these knives make a series of compromises calculated to keep the largest number of people happily using their knives for the longest period of time. Like supermarket tomatoes bred for sturdiness and uniformity rather than flavor, these compromises seriously degrade the performance of your knives.

The first compromise begins with the steel. Steel is the heart of the knife. Most manufacturers (Henckels, Wusthof, Forschner, et al.) have proprietary steel blends and are very close-mouthed about the actual formulation of their steels. According to industry insiders, these steel blends are closely related to or equivalent to a steel known as 440a. By and large 440a steel is formulated for stain and wear resistance rather than holding a high performance edge.

In the kitchen, that’s not a bad tradeoff.

But this compromise in edge performance is compounded by a heat treatment that leaves the steel much softer than it could be. In general, the harder the steel, the keener the edge it will take. However, a hard steel makes it more difficult to get that edge in the first place. So manufacturers leave the steel a little soft, theoretically making sharpening at home easier. If you’ve ever spent an hour or two trying to get a super fine edge on a cheap kitchen knife, you’ll know that there is a big gap between theory and practice."

Read the entire thing here.

A friend of mine bought a Cutco chef knife for work about a year ago. I talked to him about a week ago and asked him if it was still sharp. He told me he really didn't like the way it cut so he ended up returning it.

I have had CUTCO knives since 1993 and they are the tool I reach for EVERY day to make working in the kitchen easier. I am a hard person to impress and these knives do just that. They are easy to care for, do the job right and I highly recommend them to anyone who is in the market for knives. No, my relatives do not sell them nor do I. Yes, they may be a little pricey but you're doing a good thing helping students learn sales and people skills as well as helping them further their education. I am normally a coupon clipper, clearance shopper and these knives I choose to spluge on since they are US company and made in the USA and fit my needs to a tee.

Seems to me that there are a lot of different folks here that all have very different ideas on what a kitchen knife can or should do.

Knives--like Cut-Co are great for the average home cook.

Alcas-the Actual Company--Designed them for the Home Cook.

They were never meant to be used by Professionals or Even Enthusiasts.

The Average Home Cook has actually never had a sharp knife in their hand and most likely never will.

The Cut-Co knives come relatively Sharp--by a Home Cook's Standards-- and maintain that level for a very long time.

With the Exception of possibly a Bread Knife--Serrations add nothing to a knife's performance and are sold because people have no Clue how to sharpen a knife.(That is Why Cut-Co puts them On)

After Reading Through this Thread I find that most here are used to softer blades so 440A should not be an issue.

The Talk of --Bolster--No Bolster-- is a matter of Personal Choice and not an issue on what is Good or Not Good.

In actuality--The traditional Bolster of a French or German Style knife impedes proper sharpening and adds unnecessary weight.

If you like them - fine.

Bolsters are not an aid to the performance of any knife.

Same for Forging.

Decades ago--Forged Blades were Superior to Stamped Blades but Today--they are NOT so that is another issue that is not an issue.

Advances in Making Knives and their Heat Treat have leveled the Playing Field on that Subject.

You also have to keep in mind that a Forged Soft Blade and Stamped Soft Blade are about the Same.

Most of the Brand names mentioned here are what most of us consider--Soft.

If You are a Knife Enthusiast--Cut-Co is not for You.

It is for folks that are just reaching into a Drawer and want to cut something and really don't know what a High Quality knife feels or cuts like and--really does not care.

Cut-Co Knives have their Place.

I would not be Caught Dead with one but there is no reason to bash them.

They found their Customer niche and play to it well.

Mike......................:)

Mr. Stewart might be too modest to provide background, but he is one of the most noted and sought after cutlers I know--and I am proud to know him personally.

If you are lucky enough to own a Bark River Knife, you know Mike's "hand." The main reason that wilderness folks love the convex edge it's because Mike does it so well.

When I have trouble with a knife, I call Mike. When a new knife was invented a few months ago, I sharpened one and sent it to Mike. I wanted his thoughts.

As you get to know him, I hope you do the same. You'll be very glad you did.

Knives--like Cut-Co are great for the average home cook.

Alcas-the Actual Company--Designed them for the Home Cook.

They were never meant to be used by Professionals or Even Enthusiasts.

The Average Home Cook has actually never had a sharp knife in their hand and most likely never will.

Most of the Brand names mentioned here are what most of us consider--Soft.

If You are a Knife Enthusiast--Cut-Co is not for You.

It is for folks that are just reaching into a Drawer and want to cut something and really don't know what a High Quality knife feels or cuts like and--really does not care.

Hi mike - Welcome to DC. Don't you think that you might be coming on a bit strong for a cooking forum?

AC

This is the knives section. Too strong? Nope. :cool:

It's the knife section of a cooking forum, not a knife afficionado's forum. There is a difference. I took some of Mike's comments as talking down to the average person who frequents this forum. Just my opinion.

It's the knife section of a cooking forum, not a knife afficionado's forum. There is a difference. I took some of Mike's comments as talking down to the average person who frequents this forum. Just my opinion.

Andy, I just reread Mike's post and don't see it the way you do. In any case, I hope Mike sticks around. He knows more about knives than the entire DiscussCooking.com forum membership combined. What's wrong with having a knife aficionado in a knife section?

Buzz

Andy,

I just went back and re-read my post too and I'm a bit baffled.

I took a very factual and neutral position on the Cut-Co Knives.

I said that they were designed for Home Cooks--That is 100% True.

I said they were Designed for Folks who lack sharpening Skills--Again Totally True.

I said that From What I read here--Most people seem to prefer Softer Knives--Again totally true.

Sorry if you took offense but stating Facts did not seem to me to be out of line.

I actually thought that I was making it crystal clear that products aimed at average users should not be judged like products made for Professionals.

I have found that there are a number of different Kitchen knife users.

1. Mom or Dad just making a dinner and never even thinking about the knife they use.

2. Folks that have a bit more interest in Cooking and do want a sharper knife but have no idea about Kitchen knives and what they are supposed to do.

3.Folks that have a very Strong interest in Home Cooking and want to be Creative and also want the same equipment that they see on the Food channels--But Still have no Clue beyond--I saw Rachel Ray using it so it must be Good.

4.Folks that have all the interest of the folks I mention in Number 3 but have done a bit of research and want better knives for the kitchen and are keenly interested in learning how to use them.

5.Folks that like Sporting knives and want to use knives of the same Quality in their Home kitchen.

6.Real Knife Enthusiasts that HAVE taken the Time to learn about Kitchen Knives and have learned or are learning How to sharpen them

7.Professional that use knives for a living.

8. Professionals that have a keen interest in Kitchen knives and have moved on from the French and German Style knives.

Cut-Co's market are loosely defined in numbers 1 thru 4.

I don't think I am taking Sides in any of this and passing on facts are usually welcome.

In my entire post the only opinion I gave was that I would not be Caught Dead with one.

The Rest is Factual.

Again--If I came on too Strong--I apologize but I really can't see where I did.

I actually thought I was doing the opposite.

Mike...................:)

I didn't. He mentioned "the average home cook", but in my opinion the average person who would join a community like DC is someone who makes enough effort to gather knowledge of cooking that they are bound to rise above that average. Many may start at or below that average, but with the help of more knowledgeable cooks/chefs/knife enthusiasts/etc. their knowledge grows and so do their skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom