Dairy Products Are Expected To Nearly Double In Price

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
I went to the local grocery store to restock our yogurt supply and the price had gone up significantly. The week before I got 10 cartons of Yoplait Light assorted flavors, for 50 cents each, but this following week it jumped up to 78 cents per! I passed.
When I got home, I looked up why the price had gone so much and found this article...

https://mic.com/articles/166382/you...o-near-double-if-trump-has-his-way#.RahsnYwTA

So off I went to Costco, thinking I could possibly do better and purchased a case of Yoplait 24 count for 42 cents a carton. The only thing with buying a case at Costco is you don't get to choice all kinds of different flavors, it's Peach, Strawberry and Blueberry, that's it.
I think that I'll be okay with that, seeing as I saved 36 cents per serving :mellow:

Trader Joe's butter and milk have each gone up.. I've only checked butter prices in the chains so, not certain about other than that... I have noticed, over the past two years that Trader Joe's dairy has been lower than all other local markets... Staying with them for now....

A confounding factor is that US milk may not be able to be shipped to Canada, which means US milk will be in excess and the price lower. The Canadian milk will be more expensive.

Right now, last week, I paid $1.99 w/coupon for whole milk, now no coupon, $2.29 is the best price for whole milk.

You can make your own yogurt. Heat a gallon of whole milk to 90-110 degrees F, mix in a cup of Dannon no flavor unsweetened yogurt (for the live cultures), then place it in a cooler with 2 milk or pop bottles of hot water--120 to 130 degrees F. Leave overnight and in less than 24 hours you have a gallon of yogurt. If you want it to be thicker, you put it in some cheese cloth or a clean cotton non-furry towel, in a bowl, and tie it shut, hang it from a broomstick, or kitchen cabinet, dripping the whey into the sink or into a bowl. Then you will have thickened yogurt. 'Greek Yogurt', Put it in containers, leave room for fruit or jam.

A confounding factor is that US milk may not be able to be shipped to Canada, which means US milk will be in excess and the price lower. The Canadian milk will be more expensive.

Right now, last week, I paid $1.99 w/coupon for whole milk, now no coupon, $2.29 is the best price for whole milk.

You can make your own yogurt. Heat a gallon of whole milk to 90-110 degrees F, mix in a cup of Dannon no flavor unsweetened yogurt (for the live cultures), then place it in a cooler with 2 milk or pop bottles of hot water--120 to 130 degrees F. Leave overnight and in less than 24 hours you have a gallon of yogurt. If you want it to be thicker, you put it in some cheese cloth or a clean cotton non-furry towel, in a bowl, and tie it shut, hang it from a broomstick, or kitchen cabinet, dripping the whey into the sink or into a bowl. Then you will have thickened yogurt. 'Greek Yogurt', Put it in containers, leave room for fruit or jam.

Good idea!
You need to heat the milk to 180F to pasteurize it. Then cool to 90F - 110F before adding the live cultures. You can incubate for 6-12 hours (or up to 24). Most people do 8 hours. The longer you incubate the tarter it gets. I strain mine in the fridge.
I've been making my own yogurt because it tastes better and costs less to make it myself. I make my own fruit compote and lemon curd to add.

Making yogurt is not actually my thing, I have too much on my plate as it is :LOL:
AND, I've just gotten DH to eat yogurt in the past maybe 2-3 years and he really likes only two brands, mostly just the one, Yoplait Light in different flavors. Not too sweet, not too tart and most of all... "...it's not creamy, I don't like anything creamy..." (Please insert a whiny 10 year old little BRAT boy's voice to that statement :ROFLMAO:)

All the other dairy products around these parts I have not seen jack up, yet.

Yep, blame it all on Trump.

I think it's because the Dairy Cattle Union is threatening to go on strike if they don't get a new bargaining agreement with higher wages and benefits. a lower retirement age and a better quality hay.

Last edited:
(I should have prefaced my statement) ... As to politics, I couldn't give two rats patooties who does what, when or who to... they're all, well you know :wacko: I have no control over them :blink:

My sentiment in this post was more towards the raising cost of dairy products and how EVERYTHING in the world revolves around everything... "will it go `round in circles..." :stuart:

(I should have prefaced my statement) ... As to politics, I couldn't give two rats patooties who does what, when or who to... they're all, well you know :wacko: I have no control over them :blink:

My sentiment in this post was more towards the raising cost of dairy products and how EVERYTHING in the world revolves around everything... "will it go `round in circles..." :stuart:

It is the ages old tale of unintended consequences. Here in Texas, the economy is very dependent on cheap immigrant labor. I'm certainly not saying that is a good thing, or isn't a problem we need to deal with, but it is a reality.

Economies are complicated things. Sometimes what seems like a good idea can bite you in the behind.

CD

It is the ages old tale of unintended consequences. Here in Texas, the economy is very dependent on cheap immigrant labor. I'm certainly not saying that is a good thing, or isn't a problem we need to deal with, but it is a reality.

Economies are complicated things. Sometimes what seems like a good idea can bite you in the behind.

CD
I think ignored consequences is more accurate, as the consequences are known. As H. L. Mencken said, "There is always an easy solution to every human problem--neat, plausible, and wrong." People want simple solutions, and we have no shortage of politicians promising them. This is one of the consequences of an electorate consuming a steady diet of sound bites, rather than making the effort to pay attention to thoughtful analysis.

I agree with ignored consequences.

Should we cry because the price of milk and other foods increase or should we cheer because the people doing the work are making a decent wage to support themselves and their families.

I agree with ignored consequences.

Should we cry because the price of milk and other foods increase or should we cheer because the people doing the work are making a decent wage to support themselves and their families.
Depends on whether those people are actually receiving the extra money.

Back
Top Bottom