Damaged Food Box - Ok to Eat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KateH21

Assistant Cook
I wasn't sure where to ask this.

I purchased a fairly big box of those instant potato flakes for my dad. He loves mashed potatoes but can't be bothered to cook the real thing. I ordered them curbside pickup.

When I got them home, I noticed that there was basically a 1-2 inch cut at the top of the box - it was open. Technically, the box split at the top corner. I don't know if any came out or not. More importantly, I don't know what might be in there.

Should I assume these are unsafe to eat and ask for a refund?

Does it have a plastic bag inside the box, that was sealed? If so, I wouldn't worry about it; if not, take it back.

If the split was enough to be able to shake out some of the potato, then I agree, ask for a refund.

I don't think someone tampered with it but who knows when it was split and what flew/crawled in.

Just eat them. Remember, what doesn't make you stronger kills you, or something like that.

This reminds me of a time a few years back when I went to a concert. My kids and I wanted a big soft pretzel, so I went to the concession stand, and luckily they only 3 left. Just enough. As they were grabbing them and packing it up for me, one of them fell on the floor ( behind the counter). The employee looked at me , apologized and range me up for the two ( that didnt drop). I was really in the mood for a pretzel, so I asked " Hey, are your just going to throw that out?" They nodded yes, so I said Id take it. Wiped it off on my jacket ( nothing visible on it), and save myself $5.

Not saying it was a bright thing to do, but I was really in the mood for it.

All that being said, I agree. If you actually saw the box when the damage actually happened, you could asses the wether or not it was a risky situation. But not knowing when it happened, broke it open, what may have gotten in I ... Jus not worth it.

This reminds me of a time a few years back when I went to a concert. My kids and I wanted a big soft pretzel, so I went to the concession stand, and luckily they only 3 left. Just enough. As they were grabbing them and packing it up for me, one of them fell on the floor ( behind the counter). The employee looked at me , apologized and range me up for the two ( that didnt drop). I was really in the mood for a pretzel, so I asked " Hey, are your just going to throw that out?" They nodded yes, so I said Id take it. Wiped it off on my jacket ( nothing visible on it), and save myself $5.

Not saying it was a bright thing to do, but I was really in the mood for it.

All that being said, I agree. If you actually saw the box when the damage actually happened, you could asses the wether or not it was a risky situation. But not knowing when it happened, broke it open, what may have gotten in I ... Jus not worth it.

Been there, done that. ;):ermm::LOL:

Ross

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom