DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't do vitamins much either. I get enough calcium in my diet, ditto most of the other vitamins. If you eat fruits and veggies in all the colors of the rainbow, you're usually covered. Vitamin D however, only comes from the sun. So, living up here in the Great White North, I need to supplement. I do vitamin C sometimes too, and the occasional MSM tablet if I've injured myself!

Vitauta, what have you been up to lately? I haven't seen you posting as much as usual.

didn't think nobody was listening to me....:)

Kitties are well. They swarmed me when I came in (as usual) and tried to tell me they were starved and ill treated. I got a little snuggle time when I sat down but got ditched pretty quickly when the birds started arriving at the feeder outside. Those two little beasties sat and chirruped at the birds for a long time. Cute.

About vitamin D Addie, up here in the north we are all severely deficient most of the time. I've been taking 2000-4000 iu every day for nearly a year now and you know what? Not one single virus. Not a cold, flu, not an episode of SAD, nothing. Working where I do, that is darned miraculous as the kids bring through myriad virus strains daily! My coworkers were all sick as dogs around Christmas with a nasty flu bug. One poor guy was off for six weeks til his lungs were better.

I did some reading about it, and so far, they can't seem to find a toxic level of vitamin D. There is some speculation that the daily recommended dose is just enough to keep us from being sick all the time and that we actually could use a lot more. Since its a water soluble vitamin, your body just flushes any unused portions out. Cool beans.

Anyway, enough blather from me. Just thought I'd share my experiences with you.

Thanks Alix. I was surprised at the news because milk is my drink of choice. Every time I open the fridge, I take a gulp right out of the bottle. I live alone so I can do it. So along with the half and half I use for coffee and other Vitamin D enriched milk products such as cheese, I have always gotten enough vitamins. I go through at least 2.5 gallons of diary products a month.

My apartment is located in an area of the building that gets no sunshine except in the back room at sunrise and then only for a few minutes. That lasts until mid September and then I don't see it again until mid March. So I am aware of SAD. When mid September comes around, I have six lights in my big room and they go on all day. I don't pay the electric bill so I don't care. But at least no SAD here. :angel:

Watch So You Think You Can Dance: Fik-Shun & Amy: Top 6 Perform online | Free | Hulu

TWERKING done right!!--amy and fik-shun in a hip hop routine. this is the next-to-last sytycd show. the winner of this dance contest will be selected next tuesday night....

Good call, Vit! These two kids have great chemistry; I think I'd rather see them as a duo than any other pairs I've seen in the show this season. Well, maybe Jasmine & Aaron, those two long drinks of water. I think one of the judges said Amy & Fik-Shun were cute and little enough to put in his pocket.

Aw, we listen vit! In my case I don't comment because I never watch the judged competition shows. Not my thing. Heck, most of TV is "not my thing". I know, I'm weird. :-p

I am so over reality and talent shows. Have been for a few years now. Most of the time I have no idea what any of you are talking about. I have never seen one episode of Survivor, America's got talent, any infamous housewife, and certainly do not keep up with the Kadashians. I do not care who says Yes To The Dress and Honey Boo Boo can keep going. Toddlers and Tiaras, in my opinion, should be investigated. Other than that, I have no opinion. :angel:

Even though vitamin C is water soluble, megadoses can cause problems:

Vitamin C megadosage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Among other things, it can cause systemic conditioning ("rebound scurvy"). When I lived in Denmark in the early '70s I was told a story about that.

Apparently, at one time Danish breweries added vitamin C to the beer. Brewery workers were allowed to drink as much beer as they wanted (on the job) as long as they didn't get drunk. Then the breweries stopped adding vitamin C to the beer and a number of brewery workers came down with scurvy. Those that did had been drinking enough beer to get megadoses of vitamin C. :ohmy: Once they figured out the problem, they just gave those workers vitamin C supplements and slowly weaned them off the excess.

That's a cool story taxlady. I don't think any of us would be anywhere NEAR megadose levels. They are doing research with Vitamin C and megadoses to deal with stomach type cancers. The research got pooh poohed several years ago and Linus Pauling's name took a knock or two. The last stuff I read said that they have had some success with megadoses. I don't imagine they continuously use it though. Probably just to get the cancers dealt with then stop.

Hey chopper, how are you? Thought of you the other day as I poured my tea. Having some Earl Grey right now.

Hey chopper, how are you? Thought of you the other day as I poured my tea. Having some Earl Grey right now.

Hi Alix! I had Earl Grey tonight too! Thanks for thinking of me. I think of you often.:)

How cute are we? A bunch of tea drinking wild women!

I know there is caffeine in Earl Grey and it SHOULD keep me up...doesn't. I dozed off with the tea still in my cup.

I have a friend who can't drink a cup of tea or coffee after noon without it keeping her up at night. Not me, I can drink it whenever, and still sleep. The hot flashes wake me up no matter what I eat or drink. At least I get back to sleep pretty well.;)

1237869_10151810161182866_1562155344_n.jpg

Wow, it is absolutely gorgeous outside today. I have been outside since I got home. I'm a little darker than when I started, and I thought I would just pop in to say hello before I pour my wine and go back outside. Hello all, and see you tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom