Deep Fried Chix - Tough Skin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rohr

Assistant Cook
Never had this happen Could it be the chicken? All the Thighs? It wasn't just the one bird, it was pieces in bulk paks.
My recipe is easy:
Clean the Chix
Buttermilk soak
Dredge
Deep oil fry
Oven Finish

Buttermilk is salted and seasoned with ground hot pepper, thyme, Garlic powder, and pepper.
( I use a fair bit of salt on the thesis that most of it gets left behind)
The dredge is Wondra flour regular all purpose white flour more of the above seasonings and salt.
The oil is at 360F (1 & 1/2 Gallon) when the Chix are introduced to it and drops to about 340f during cooking. The chix are removed when the oil starts heating back up and the Chix is golden brown. I let the oi heat to 360 before adding more.
The removed Chix are placed on a rack that holds them about 3/4" above a tray and removed to the oven at 350F for finishing

This batch was breasts and thighs. I haven't tried the breasts leaving them for the missus who likes 'em better than thighs.
It works out perfectly every time - - - except this time.
The Chix skin was tough tough tough Thighs I mean I haven't tried the breasts.

Any one have this happen? Is it the Chicken and I just got a tough pone or is there something in the process that can do this?

Since it works out every time, could it be that it was just left out too long after cooking?
I usually marinate overnight, and use beer or soda as part of my marinating recipe for a crispier skin.

Left out too long?
I don't get it.
You mean like on the counter for hours - - nope.

how long did you soak in buttermilk?

the buttermilk and salt mix is the tenderizing agent. maybe a longer soak, like overnight, would have helped.

The soak was not long. I was pressed for time.
Thanks for the input, I'm going to overnight it next time
The acid in the buttermilk is the tenderizer I presume?

If it was the battered skin that was tough, it could be that the chicken was too wet with buttermilk when you floured it and the flour got caked on the skin. When it deep fried it got very hard.

Hmmm interesting. It wasn't the coating that was tough it was the skin beneath.
I let this drain on a rack a bit before dredging. I don't double dip either.

Though I did try double dipping onion rings recently and that worked out wonderfully.

It may have been a tough older bird or just thick skinned. I know I have pulled some think skin off chicken breasts occasionally when unpackaging them.

Back
Top Bottom