Deer Jerky.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankZ

Site Team
Staff member
My friend that hunts (you may remember him mentioned in the My Goose Is Cooking thread) gave me some deer meat to turn into jerky. This is a first attempt at this so we shall see what happens. Both of us are interested to see if the process will produce something edible.

I used Morton Tender Quick last night for the cure and the strips are in the smoker now. The box has been settling in in the 145F range, though it does fluctuate (as a charcoal/wood chunk fire will).

I do expect this to be an all day process. I ended up with about 26oz of deer strips.

Attachments

• deerjerky01.jpg
    deerjerky01.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 1,457
Looks great Frank, My grandson is quite the hunter, If yours turns out well I will do some for him, I always soak mine in cure and spices I noticed most do not use cure.

I have never had much success with jerky. If yours turns out Frank, I'd love a detailed description of what you did. I suspect my issue is either cutting the meat too thin or not enough cure time.

I waffled on the whole cure idea. Partly cause I thawed the meat and then realized I needed one, and well, trying to find something without ordering it online was a royal PITA.

I try not to be paranoid just merely cautious when it comes to food saftey. But I kept asking myself would I eat this meat if I left it sit on the counter for 12 hours. The answer kept coming back as no, unless I hadn't eaten for like 14 days then why on earth would I leave it on the counter to begin with.

So off I drove, looking for the cure... came home, did more looking online and realized I missed the store that had it, and I should have known better while I was out that direction. So out last night, had Outback for dinner (that was a funny story) and got my cure.

The up side is there is no real pressure for this to be anything more than an experiment. I have another deer roast in the freezer. :)

Frank,

I had the same problem trying to find cure mixes around here. What I did eventually find and used was disgusting. It was either too salty or sweet.

Searched for recipes and such online. Just to discover I can make my own at home.

I know it's your first time. Experimenting is the best part of learning.

Here's a few links you might like to check out for your next batch. Both have some great information and recipes.

You don't have to leave the jerky on the counter. In my house it never lasts through the night. It's ok to refrigerate it.

Great Venison Jerky Recipes - The Complete Jerky Method

How to Make Beef Jerky the Easy Way

Hope this helps.

Munky.

I recently had some Old Bay beef jerky. Oh my was it good!!!! You should try that next time around.

My friend that hunts (you may remember him mentioned in the My Goose Is Cooking thread) gave me some deer meat to turn into jerky. This is a first attempt at this so we shall see what happens. Both of us are interested to see if the process will produce something edible.

I used Morton Tender Quick last night for the cure and the strips are in the smoker now. The box has been settling in in the 145F range, though it does fluctuate (as a charcoal/wood chunk fire will).

I do expect this to be an all day process. I ended up with about 26oz of deer strips.

When shall we expect our care package? Jerky will keep in the mail. ;)

Well...

11 hours it took. Unfortuantly the pieces we many different sizes (couldn't be helped) so some were more and some we less. All in all the flavor was nice. The deer flavor came through, lightly salted with a lovely hickory flavor.

We sampled a couple pieces and I kept a couple more but the bulk went out the door.

26oz of meat to start and about 11oz of jerky.

I would make this one again. :)

Well...

11 hours it took. Unfortuantly the pieces we many different sizes (couldn't be helped) so some were more and some we less. All in all the flavor was nice. The deer flavor came through, lightly salted with a lovely hickory flavor.

We sampled a couple pieces and I kept a couple more but the bulk went out the door.

26oz of meat to start and about 11oz of jerky.

I would make this one again. :)

Hold up... By out the door did your dogs have a lucky day? Or did the jerky meet Mr Disposal?

You can finish drying the thicker pieces in the oven.

Out the door means my friend that supplied the deer came by and I sent it with him for him and his son.

I hadn't planned on keeping much anyways, this was more a favor for him.

That was very nice of you to do.. Tomorrow you might be sorry you were so generous.. J/K.

They look fantastic!. My first batch didn't look that good. I had bits you wouldn't even have thought was supposed to be jerky.. It was sad.. You did a great job! :)

You took notes, right?

Munky.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom